help needed! problem with my hook lengths

Vas

Has to be said that if the problem is losing hooks because the hook knot is giving way (as posted), then the most likely problem is the knots themselves, particularly with the lines and tackle in question.

I recently posted on here a request for advice re which knots etc to use as I was having dexterity problems and wanted to tie my own hooklengths after problems with pre-tied hooks: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/7247198-best-knot-for-eyed-hook-dexterity-problems/

I'm not a big fan of the Palomar knot - it's simple and quick to tie, and apparently quite strong, but I was looking for a 'better' knot. The end result (from advice on here, and also from direct contact with Drennan, as I was intending to use Supplex) was that the best knot was going to be the 5 Turn Grinner (Uni knot) ... it's easy enough to tie well - if I can do it, anyone can :D

Some advice though ... tie the knots CAREFULLY, ALWAYS moisten the line / knot before tightening, and make sure that you actually tighten the knot fully (I know the last bit sounds daft, but it's surprisingly easy NOT to tigthen up a knot properly!) If you want a very graphic demonstration of the difference, tie your knot of choice using a much heavier line - say, 10 or 12lb BS, and tighten it as you would normally. THEN see how much tighter you can actually get the knot if you try (the heavier BS will allow you to do this quite easily) ... the tightened knot is MUCH stronger than one that is not properly bedded down, but you've now got to work out for youself how hard you can pull on a lighter hooklength to achieve this without damage to the hooklength ... it DOES take a bit of trial and error. :D

When I say tie the knot carefully ... I THOUGHT I was, until I looked under a magnifier at some I had tied - I was being very picky / critical - some were perfect, neat knots that could have been used to illustrate an article; others tied at the same time were ugly beasties by comparison. The solution was a simple one - I just needed to take more care, particularly at the tightening stage, and I'm now confident that the knots I tie are as good as that knot can be. :rolleyes:

A final bit of advice - if you are less than 100% happy with ANY knot, or suspect any line damage / curl etc as a result of tying the knot ... re-tie it. You KNOW that knot wil give under pressure if you don't. :D

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an afterthought - if it is CLOSE to the hook where you are snapping, rather than at the hook knot ... any chance you are fishing across a bed of freshwater mussels? - they can and will slice line like a razor!

Edited by philocalist

Yeah, I was thinking possibly pike. They certainly will take worms, and they do sometimes bite you off. But 5lb line should take a bloody good pull to break out of a snag (unless the snag is something sharp). Usually if a knot fails the end of the line will be pig-tailed. Line doesn't often break away from the knot unless it has been weakened or damaged.

@ philocalist

thanks mate i will deffo try that knot! and take even more time and care then i already have!

i was thinking about mussels but iv been checking bottom with led and it just felt like mud nothing else on the bottom, theres gravel bed closer to me but i dont fish on it. However im not using braid so i may wont be able to feel perfectly whats at the bottom

@ Steve Walker

thats crazy i always though the only reason you catch pike is when its going for a smaller fish that you have hooked, some of it deffo could be pike then as im fishing on two big lob worms.

Its deffinatly gets weakened or damaged somehow, due to knot or something else not sure :((((

Edited by Vas

the knot stays on the hook but line breaks just where line comes out from the knot , i have no idea what weakens it :( iam moisten the crap out of it lol

like i said i have tested Palomar knot at home with pliers and its strong as hell but something happens when im fishing and line just weakens and breaks near the hook

Edited by Vas

Could be disgorger like you said. Is it a metal one ? They often have burs or sharp edges.

Tried different line ? Maybe it just doesnt have a good knot strength or its old line sitting on shop shelf in sunlight for months and months.

Uni knot imo is a decent reliable knot. I use daiwa sensor mono mostly.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Could be disgorger like you said. Is it a metal one ? They often have burs or sharp edges.

Tried different line ? Maybe it just doesnt have a good knot strength or its old line sitting on shop shelf in sunlight for months and months.

Uni knot imo is a decent reliable knot. I use daiwa sensor mono mostly.

no just a plastic one but its fairly big, i have a pair of them scissors like disgorgers dont know why i never used them...its so much easier

just ordered some different line its "guru n-guage" 5lb 0.15

going to use uni knot

see what happens

Wow this is strange! If it's not breaking at the knot, then it is not the knot itself, but maybe how you tighten it up. look at the line above the hook when you first tie one on, if it has a kink, or curl, then retie it. As it's been said, always wet the line well, prior to tightening, and tighten steadily, not jerking it tight. I too thought maybe mussels. or sharp gravel, have you had the same problem in different swims? Pike is another possible, especially if you are using double lobworm, (one of the best baits for small/medium pike), but I've had hooks bitten off by chub. If the chub takes the bait down without moving, the line will be crushed on the pharyngeal teeth (throat teeth), and snap when pressure is applied. I don't know if this will happen with other fish, but definitely does with chub.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John