Demise of traditional angling

Kappa

Let's try and combine the demise of angling and commercials. As a lot of the postings show, none of us are getting any younger, so convenience raises its head.

I am not only old, but disabled as well and have had to compromise on where I fish. I used to love going out on a charter boat for Cod, Ling, "flatties", etc. even the odd Pouting, but as the years have rolled by, I have had to deny myself that pleasure.

These days I can unfortunately not even walk around a commercial, let alone wander down the riverside looking for a likely looking peg.

That is when commercials come into their own. I am not talking of a featureless hole in the ground that has so many fish in it that you could walk across the lake on their backs, but a natural looking, picturesque spot on a lake that you can park nearby (or even just behind) your peg. They do exist and when you find it you hang on to them, as you can go fishing as opposed to catching!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glucosamine can work wonders for some of us with joint inflamation.

If possible, try to find a combination that includes Glucosamine and Chondroitin, and maybe (MSM (methylsulfonylmethane).

http://www.arthritis.org/conditions/altthe...Glucosamine.asp

has more information as does

http://arthritis.about.com/od/msm/

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

What Rob Ward said on the Wingham catch report is so true, I used to really hate where angling was going bite alarms batirunners etc etc. But over the years I've found I can't stay up all night watching a float and still be able to work the next day (I could do this when I was 18-19). My long standing tench pb was caught on a float in the margins, my second biggest was caught using a centrepin! As the years have gone on though I've been lured by bite alarms and boltrigs. To be fair I think there are situations where these methods are the best option. However all my favourite lakes for tench fishing for example are either closed, the banks of the most beautiful lake I ever fished have been concreted and my big tench water is chock full or carpers everyday. The lake I'm currently fishing the margins are usually not as good as fishing off the bars (though they are beginning to move in I think).

I think the problem is mostly with lakes, especially when the great ones have all the tress cut down, weed pulled out and stuffed full of little carp. I long for the river season when I can really go back to basics, a hook, maybe a shot or two and a simple natural bait, touch ledgering in a roving approach and probably being the only angler in miles absolute bliss!

Have you found your fishing has changed over the years? Has anyone got a good antidote to modern fishing?

I think I'm going to fish the lift method for carp in my local canal with my centrepin, that should cure me I hope. If not a spot of dry fly fishing?

Rich

had a great days fishing today.caught 2 minnows and put them in a jam jar. i caught them on a peice of cane ,cotton and a bent pin.

lesson 4. dont play,dont give the game away.

What Rob Ward said on the Wingham catch report is so true, I used to really hate where angling was going bite alarms batirunners etc etc. But over the years I've found I can't stay up all night watching a float and still be able to work the next day (I could do this when I was 18-19). My long standing tench pb was caught on a float in the margins, my second biggest was caught using a centrepin! As the years have gone on though I've been lured by bite alarms and boltrigs. To be fair I think there are situations where these methods are the best option. However all my favourite lakes for tench fishing for example are either closed, the banks of the most beautiful lake I ever fished have been concreted and my big tench water is chock full or carpers everyday. The lake I'm currently fishing the margins are usually not as good as fishing off the bars (though they are beginning to move in I think).

I think the problem is mostly with lakes, especially when the great ones have all the tress cut down, weed pulled out and stuffed full of little carp. I long for the river season when I can really go back to basics, a hook, maybe a shot or two and a simple natural bait, touch ledgering in a roving approach and probably being the only angler in miles absolute bliss!

Have you found your fishing has changed over the years? Has anyone got a good antidote to modern fishing?

I think I'm going to fish the lift method for carp in my local canal with my centrepin, that should cure me I hope. If not a spot of dry fly fishing?

Rich

Richard, to be perfectly honest we were never a million miles apart. From what I could gather at the time you were within local distance of your nearest Barbel River whereas the closest one to me is the Ribble which is very peggy and subject to flooding very quickly. As far as I'm concerned the best method is the simplest that will catch you fish on the day!

Previously to this years Wingham fish-in my PB Tench (favourite species) and Perch were caught on float tackle just off the tree to your left at this years event and I had to fish really light that year just to get a bite. This year I beat the Tench PB by 2lb 4oz's on fairly crude tackle (10 lb line, hair rig and bite alarm) which just goes to show you have to keep thinking!

I remember you being horrified that I'd used five ounce breakaway leads whilst fishing for Barbel but to be fair I'd arrived at the Severn to find it in flood and needed that just to hold bottom!

Newt, If I had Arthritus I wouldn't mind. I have two double jeopardy illnesses: Spondilylosis L5S1 combined with a crumbling spine - and Angina combined with COPD!

But it doesn't stop me fishing or being a 24/7 carer!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

John - I know that and I wish you did have something that could be fairly easily improved.

I was mainly responding to Leon and with a hope that some other old fuds who were more achey than in previous years might also benefit. The items do relieve arthritic sypmtoms in quite a few people and other than a bit of nausea if you take the meds on an empty stomach, don't seem to have any harmful effects.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

i'm perfectly happy fishing in a pond where i know not one fish will ever come close to my biggest fish of those species.

i fish purely to catch fish not notch my pb up another ounce purely because i want a bigger fish.

the club has lakes where i can easily break all my pb;s but life is to short to sit for days trying when i can have fun catching tiddlers for a few hours then go home ,more than once i have helped the mrs tackle up her stuff then relaxed in my chair drinking in the peace and quiet and not fished at all.

my usual spiel to those not catching whilst getting their permit numbers is "this is the best lake in the club to blank in"

fishing isn't just about catching fish but a whole outlook on life.

remember when you were kids and experimenting making tackle in the close season? the excitement looking forward to using it come the 16th ? yes you had fun just thinking about the fishing and come the 16th did it really matter you didnt catch the expected monsters so vivid in your imagination as you painted that float ,not for me! just the fun of being away from home (and your parents) the "escape" factor is still strong after 40 years and still comes fishing with me now.

fish come 3 or 4 on my list of fishing ,just the smell of a lake at dawn stirs something deep in my soul,you wont catch me moaning that i blanked, catching fish whilst fishing is cream on the cake not the cake itself.

you may prefer taking barrows full of tackle to a distant swim ,been there done that but i realised i could get just as much fun walking 20 feet to the nearest swim to the car park (the only swim we fish) with just enough tackle for that session and be entertained by the whole outside thing .

i have fished lakes streams rivers both little and large ,carp fished for weeks on end and had a spell match fishing ,but all that travelling and "conquering" new venues isnt a patch on just simple fishing and catching fish for just fun.

the club has 22 waters i have fished 4 since 1974 ,i go carp fishing (not very much nowadays alas) in a lake with carp ,tiddler snatching in a lake of tiddlers and pike fishing in the other two but my favourite (and the reason why i became a bailiff on it) is my beloved tiddler lake ohh and its the closest ,some will call me lazy (for not travelling to far off fisheries)some will call me a fair weather fisherman (certainly not that) but in reality my happiness switch on point is far lower than most other anglers ,just talking to other anglers brings me happiness! the actual "doing" is the cream.

i have nothing against carp anglers (i enjoy carp angling) but small enclaves should be left for those such as myself who are happy to sit round an almost empty lake ,who dont follow the tackle cat walk and not wear almostrealtree clothing including underwear ,should stockbridge have an introduction of carp then i would reluctantly hand in my bailiffs pad ,there are plenty of waters with carp already in why have them in all waters :(

Here here :clap2: