Which Beach rod?

Jodder

Hello,

Just started sea fishing and really enjoying it but feel I need to get a better rod for beach fishing. Currenty using a budget carp rod to cast from chesil with a fairly decent fixed spool reel. Any one care to recommend a beach rod. Ideally I would like to spend about £60 but is that a false economy? I fish ocassionally, ideally once a month but more in summer so don't go enough to spend a hugh amount. I have a range of coarse rods for float work and spinning so I need a rod that can get my bait to the fish off chesil. Looked at a Fox Impressa but am very open to suggestions.

Thanks

What rods are the guys using down there? If its clean beach work and you're stuck with the £60 budget, buy a secondhand rod something that retails around £150 should be within your budget. I would recomend the Daiwa Supercasts but I'm thinking of the fishing off my local beaches (clean, distance, worm baits), you really need to match it to the conditions down there.

Hello,

Just started sea fishing and really enjoying it but feel I need to get a better rod for beach fishing. Currenty using a budget carp rod to cast from chesil with a fairly decent fixed spool reel. Any one care to recommend a beach rod. Ideally I would like to spend about £60 but is that a false economy? I fish ocassionally, ideally once a month but more in summer so don't go enough to spend a hugh amount. I have a range of coarse rods for float work and spinning so I need a rod that can get my bait to the fish off chesil. Looked at a Fox Impressa but am very open to suggestions.

Thanks

Hi,

Take a look at these rods, I bought one and was impressed enough to go back and buy one of their spinning rods.

They are all quality built and get very good reviews.

They sell on ebay so have a look at their feed-back, it's ALL good.

They are a relatively new company based in the centre of Yorkshire somewhere.

you can read all about them on the site and their products.

The 14ft rod I found very good, just what I wanted, it chucks a 6oz lead and bait no problem at all.

They are inexpensive but very good quality.

The link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Firefly-Angling-Surf...oQQcmdZViewItem

You can pay hundreds for a rod but for the price, the quality you get will really take some beating.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

:clap2:

Hi,

Take a look at these rods, I bought one and was impressed enough to go back and buy one of their spinning rods.

They are all quality built and get very good reviews.

They sell on ebay so have a look at their feed-back, it's ALL good.

They are a relatively new company based in the centre of Yorkshire somewhere.

you can read all about them on the site and their products.

The 14ft rod I found very good, just what I wanted, it chucks a 6oz lead and bait no problem at all.

They are inexpensive but very good quality.

The link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Firefly-Angling-Surf...oQQcmdZViewItem

You can pay hundreds for a rod but for the price, the quality you get will really take some beating.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

:clap2:

:clap2: Is the posters name and the word "Firefly" in the link a clue to a vested interest I wonder? No problem with me if it is as I often plug my paper but I have declared an interest but this praise is not impartial if there is a link. :clap2:

Go to tacklebargains.co.uk and you can get a fladen beachcaster for under £60 easily. Don't be fooled into thinking you need an expensive rod. It's all hype, designed to get you to part with more money that you need to.

The average angler can't cast well enough to make use of a long distance rod.

I use Fladen rods, £30 each, and can cast 150 yds plus, enough for most shore marks.

Don't forget, the big fish are usually under your nose, within 20yds of the beach.

Knowing the local mark is of more use than a 200yd cast any day.

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ May, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:clap2: Is the posters name and the word "Firefly" in the link a clue to a vested interest I wonder? No problem with me if it is as I often plug my paper but I have declared an interest but this praise is not impartial if there is a link. :clap2:

Hi Norm,

No I don't have a vested interest ...honest! :thumbs:

I joined another forum before joining this one and couldn't get the name I wanted so decided on FireFly because I hadn't had one of their rods long, just bought a second, a spinning rod, lovely rod honest - :rolleyes:

Decided to keep the name FireFly because this other forum had a link to this one, I wish I did have a vested interest or was on commission!! I do honestly rate these rods, if you visit ebay and read their 'feed-back' you will see that a lot of guys do as well.

They remind me a bit of Century when they first started out, started small and look at Century now, these guys are a father and son outfit based in Yorkshire, building really good quality rods at a realistic price without ripping people off.

I was the first guy in the Tees area to get a Century rod, I was a rep for a fishing tackle company and did a deal for one. That was a lovely rod but very stiff, trying to power it was some effort believe me, got one of their Formula 40's now, they really have come on. I think they are one of the top makers out their.

As someone else has already stated, you don't have to pay a fortune to get good quality gear.

Cheers :clap2:

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ May, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:clap2: Is the posters name and the word "Firefly" in the link a clue to a vested interest I wonder? No problem with me if it is as I often plug my paper but I have declared an interest but this praise is not impartial if there is a link. :clap2:

Hi Norm,

No I don't have a vested interest ...honest! :thumbs:

I joined another forum before joining this one and couldn't get the name I wanted so decided on FireFly because I hadn't had one of their rods long, just bought a second, a spinning rod, lovely rod honest - :rolleyes:

Decided to keep the name FireFly because this other forum had a link to this one, I wish I did have a vested interest or was on commission!! I do honestly rate these rods, if you visit ebay and read their 'feed-back' you will see that a lot of guys do as well.

They remind me a bit of Century when they first started out, started small and look at Century now, these guys are a father and son outfit based in Yorkshire, building really good quality rods at a realistic price without ripping people off.

I was the first guy in the Tees area to get a Century rod, I was a rep for a fishing tackle company and did a deal for one. That was a lovely rod but very stiff, trying to power it was some effort believe me, got one of their Formula 40's now, they really have come on. I think they are one of the top makers out their.

As someone else has already stated, you don't have to pay a fortune to get good quality gear.

Cheers :clap2:

:clap2: Absolutely correct about not having to pay a fortune for quality gear, just because it's made in the far east doesn't mean it's inferior gear. Now that they've sorted the quality control the gear is as good as anyones. I review far east built gear for some well known firms and if they were dishonest and stuck a union flag on it we wouldn't know the difference. :clap2:

Firefly

Do you also post on Cuba Mania fishing as someone on their recommends the Firefly travel spinning rod?

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

We have lots of people who come into the shop and ask the same question, we always respond with "how often are you planning to go" if you are planning to go once a week then the next question you need to ask yourself is what do you want to spend, we never ak this as it is up to you, if you can stretch over the £50.00 - £75.00 mark then you are in the mid range of rods, all will do the job you are going to ask it to do and should give you years of service, if you can go up to £100.00 then you have some good rods available to you, as mentioned the Greys GRX-s for £99.00 with lifetime warranty is one to look at, so is the Daiwa Sandstorm and Abu Phazer, all around the £100 mark and all available in Multi or Fixed Spool.

If however you are only going to get on on he odd occassion look at the beach rod and reel deals out there, dont go for the lower end look to spend aorund £60.00 you should get a decent rod and an ok reel but you will be looking to change it after 12 months if you use it regular, the Abu Enticer is a good entry level rod and is out there from around £34.00 a good fixed sppol reel can be picked up for around £30.00 but would advise going up just a little more for better and more bearings.

Your local tackle shop should give you all the advice you need, we try to help as much as possible to anyone entering the sport, you will also find that once you have explained that you are new advice will be given on marks tactics etc etc, they should be there to help you, unlike the dreaded Ebay sellers who just sell you the item and thats it, you may spend a few £ more but the information you will get is worth it.