Indian River Lagoon Coast Fishing Report

Indian River Lagoon Coast Fishing Report, May 23, 2007

Complements of Mosquito Creek Outdoors, Apopka Florida

Well I was hoping to publish this report on Friday, but after two quality days on the water, the east beast started howling again and 20-knot winds forced cancellations of Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday charters. Hopefully, this weather pattern will shift by Saturday, allowing us fishable conditions, at least inshore, for the holiday weekend.

My week starter on Sunday when repeat clients Craig Welch and his son Max and his grandfather graced the deck of Three Quarter Time for a day of fishing on the Indian River Lagoon. Although the east wind of 15 plus knots was challenging, it was the nicest day we had all week, and my goal was to put Max on some serious fish like the trip before. We starter out working the FPL discharge in hopes of a snook, but Max was pleasantly surprised when his line tightened, and his first tarpon tail walked next to the boat.

Our next stop included fast and furious action as we located a heard of ladyfish, sea trout and gaff top sail catfish working over a school of bay anchovies (glass minnows) in deeper water. To locate these schools, simply watch for diving pelicans accompanied by small terns dipping into the water. If the pelicans hold their heads down into the water after they surface from their dive they are straining small baitfish from the water before swallowing, and you’re in the right spot. The action is fast, and small jigs and flies, spoons, and top water popping bugs work well.

Although the feeding frenzy was hot and heavy, the crew had big redfish on their minds, so we were off to leeward shoreline and the quest was on. I poled at least a two miles of shoreline loaded we thousands of finger mullet to no avail, and we ended the day with only one slot redfish, and a wet ride back to the dock.

On Monday, I was joined Frank King form Mosquito Creek Outdoors in Apopka, and his lifelong hunting buddy Mike Mason from Orlando, with the same game plan as the day before but with much better results, sorry Craig, Max and Granddad. The weather was much nicer, but still windy. Mike had a little experience fishing for redfish on the west coast, but this was Franks first attempt at fishing for Florida’s coastal species, so the challenge was on.

I started the dual with some top water plug fishing on a lee shoreline with limited results, and we quickly shifted to jig fishing the glass minnow school, with the same results as the day before. As the wind gained and conditions deteriorated, I opted to chunking ladyfish on a lee shoreline, and we stumbled into a redfish chew fest. For the next two hours, the redfish bite was going off, and I spoiled both Frank and Mike with 21 redfish, 2 over slot sea trout, and believe it or not, a five pound bluefish. You know you are in a serious redfish feed when you are trying to land a hefty redfish, and several others follow it up to the boat trying to steal the bait. Out of the 21 fish landed, only two were upper slot fish, and the rest were over slot up to 36-inches.

In Closing, both myself and Captain Chris Myers, will be conducting free angling seminars on Saturday June 16th at the Mosquito Creek Outdoors Father’s Day Event in Apopka, Florida, so stop in and check out their newly renovated angling and outdoor adventure training facility and sign up for future classes. Stay tuned for more details, as we get closer to the event.

So, with that said, I leave you with hopes on calm seas, and for the next three to four days, it’s boat and equipment maintenance, and honey do’s for me.

As always, if you have any questions, or need any information, please contact me.

Good Luck and good fishing,

Captain Tom Van Horn

Mosquito Coast Fishing Charters

www.irl-fishing.com

407-366-8085 Landline

407-416-1187 On the water

866-790-8081 Toll Free

Visit www.mosquitocreekoutdoors.com for your outdoor adventure needs, It’s Where the Adventure Begins!

Skank

As always a PLEASURE to read about your exploits!! Thank you.

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))