Quiver tips - how flexible?

ISaying that , i now use a 'sidewinder' in a lot of circumstances and find these even more sensitive than a quiver tip , with the advantage that you can use a 'non-quivertip' rod to fish the same way .

Nomad P, could you explain what a sidewinder is?

Thanks

john clarke

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John I hope Paul doesnt mind me explaining but the simplist way to describe a Sidewinder is to imagine a quiver tip placed at a 90degree angle to the rod coming out from the side of the rod.Normaly placed between the butt and next ring.

Ok for helping to beat the wind but kind of defeats the point unless you have the rod pointing directly at the bait.I think that this is only really of any practical use in still water where I prefer a light weight bobbin.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Nomad P, could you explain what a sidewinder is?

Thanks

with a sidewinder you fish with the rod tip pointing straight at your bait

sidewinder

i've got three the mark one right through to the latest one and for bite detection you cannot beat them

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

with a sidewinder you fish with the rod tip pointing straight at your bait

sidewinder

i've got three the mark one right through to the latest one and for bite detection you cannot beat them

Les, from Budgie's post just before yours he's obviously not so keen on them. What is their advantage over

a) a quiver tip?

B) a bobbin?

Thanks

John

john clarke

Les, from Budgie's post just before yours he's obviously not so keen on them. What is their advantage over

a) a quiver tip?

B) a bobbin?

Thanks

John

a) a quiver tip? not effected by wind and very sensertive to even the shyest bites

B) a bobbin? not used this method

and it is ok to use on rivers as well as still waters

as i said fish with tip of the rod pointing at your bait

hope this helps

Very interesting topic, I'm enjoying and learning from.

take a look at this link it has a video guide on the sidewinder,

http://www.ultrafloats.co.uk/t&t.php

I'm very intrigued by the sliding rod rest mentioned by kleinboet so i just bought one off ebay for a couple of quid. Can't wait to experiment with it.

Cheers

P@ul

Les - ah, I think I see it. A sidewinder can be more sensitive than a quiver tip because it's not in place when you're casting? ie a quiver tip of less than O.5 oz would make casting very difficult. Is that it?

Paul, let us know how you get on! I'm interested too, but a bit reluctant to get yet more stuff.

john clarke

Sidewinder?

It just goes to show that there are very few new things in angling.

These are just a glorified version of the butt indicators that we used to make 40 odd years ago, (and they certainly weren't new then!).

The only difference is the materials. I've made them using, aluminium welding rod, cane, knitting needles, fibre glass, spring steel wire, and probably a few other things I've forgotten about.

We tried hinges, springs, rubber tubing as well as the flexible fibre glass and wire, to allow them to move to indicate a bite.

We tried them clipped to the rod, to a bankstick, and to the rod rest.

All worked to varying degrees, depending on conditions. I'm sure I've still got one of the prototypes kicking about somewhere.

One small word of warning when you use this method for the first time.

If you are fishing fairly close in, remember not to go overboard with your strike. If you are fishing with the rod pointing at the fish, and you give it a full blown over the head strike, then you may find that you break, or, as happened to a mate of mine, you may see a small perch go flying over your head.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I try to use the most sensitive tip I can get away with, whether on still or running water. I've caught some good perch from gently running water using a fairly stiff tip. I tried a bobbin but it was too much faffing, as I was moving around quite a lot and the flow in each swim was different. Ditto with chub.

On still water I rarely use a quiver tip but reading all this is making me realise how much I miss it! I used to use it a lot fishing for bream - it's great when it delibrately pulls round and stays there! I don't think I'd use it for any other stillwater fish, much preferring very light bobbins.

There's a gravel pit down the road which has lots of bream averaging about 5lb - after reading this I've decided to have a break from the big tench in the other lake (which keep getting caught by the ****** carpers instead of me!) and for my next session have a day fishing the tip for bream. Thanks FT!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

going fishing in about 15 mins but

will be using my sidewinder with a bit of luck i will get some photos of it fitted on the rod with the bait in the water

will post them up for you to see :thumbs: