Advice on Multiplier Reel

Disturbed

I see on the map that there is a lake right next to the river, I wonder if it came from there.

I agree that taking one fish out of the river is not going to make that much difference, but I would either save it for the EA to deal with, or put it out of my misery. The opinion of some seems to be, "it's there, does it really matter"? It might not, but at what stage does it begin to matter, 10 fish, 100, 1000, or the 5000 that escaped into the Yorks Ouse and Trent system during floods a few years ago? Which incidentally are showing now. A completely alien predator, that feeds like no other native species, except maybe the extinct burbot. Apart from the fact that legislation is in place, that is supposed to prevent the introduction, or release of alien species into a river system, and only into a stillwater under licence, under the threat of a large fine, and a criminal record. It seems that it's ok to ignore these things, but only if they are 'worth catching', usually because of size. I wonder what the reaction would be if an angler was caught returning top mouth gudgeon, or signal crays, would the defence of, "There are loads in there, a few more won't matter", be accepted without quibble?.

So now that we are free to decide what legislation we can, and can't ignore, then I should be able to dispatch any carp, zander, catfish, or any other species that I personally consider to be alien to a river system, (maybe have a BBQ on the bank), my match fishing mates can introduce F1s and as many mongrel carp as they can, all without any complaints from my fellow anglers.

John.

Again, I apologise for the use of your thread Disturbed, but with half the posts on here, it wouldn't work if I started a new one.

As you say John, people just come out with the same thing "well what difference will one make". The thing is it can make a massive difference, just think how many eggs a fish of that size can lay !

I posted a thread not to long ago about some bell-end who released 13 wels cats into a 35 plus year old water of no more than 2 acres. The water was actually purpose made to house fish from the pool they used as a refuge dump and as a refuge for the other wildlife that was to be evicted...newts, frogs toads etc etc. The club have since got a license from the EA to keep the things ! Howl the EA can give a license to keep them in a water that has an outlet that flows into a small stream / river, that then flows directly into another two rivers and then into the largest river in the area...wheres the sense in that. Enviroment Agency...shame on them.

Anglers, "guardians of the rivers", yeah right, imo they're the biggest threat to the rivers and waters in this country including the crearures living in them.

Disturbed, as John says sorry to go off track on your thread.

When the Thames flooded badly in 2007 some recognisable carp got in from the local Oxford gravel pits. Not long later, some were caught in Surrey.

The Severn is the longest river in England, that catfish could have got in from anywhere.

I've fished the Severn from a boat with a fishfinder, and some of the bream shoals are so vast it's hard to describe. I can't see how any fish, even one that size, could ever make even the finest dent in them.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

People moan when a seal or otters are seen, saying they're eating all the fish but because they want to catch a catfish they forget all the fish it's going to swallow up, not only that but all the other indiginous creatures they'll suck in that have no defence against them.  There's no doubt that there'll be many more of those catfish in the severn. </p>

I remember when I was a young teenager and watching John Wilson targetting wels cats on the ebro (i'm sure it was) and he went to specific spots to try and catch one, next to a dam if I remember rightly...it is a long time ago now lol.  Back then the cats were quite thin on the ground and i'm sure big ones were about 50 or 60lb.  What i'm trying to say is that it hasn't taken them long to multiply and reach huge sizes and the ebro makes the severn look like a stream.  Those large shoals of bream and other fish will just help the cats to breed and grow all the faster !

Imo they should be knocked on the head, maybe the EE's will be usefull after all.

If you caught one rat in your kitchen would you say...it's not worth killing it, it's only one? You've gott'a start somewhere and one would be a good start.

Edited by Tigger

People said exactly the same thing about zander, which have also settled very well into the Severn, and it just never happened!

For the record I have no interest in catching river catfish. I just know that if I'd caught it accidentally, I would have returned it.

Anyone know if the Severn offers suitable spawning habitat for wells? It might just be too cold for the species to do well (unlike the Ebro).

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

People said exactly the same thing about zander, which have also settled very well into the Severn, and it just never happened!

For the record I have no interest in catching river catfish. I just know that if I'd caught it accidentally, I would have returned it.

Anyone know if the Severn offers suitable spawning habitat for wells? It might just be too cold for the species to do well (unlike the Ebro).

Wels come from cold climates, Russia and have no problems breeding. I would imagine our climate would suite them.

All, (apologies to disturbed)

Please !! I'm with Anderoo on this one. If you want to eradicate fish by species don't ask for anglers to take on that burden. I'm gonna put back what I catch. I will do it intentionally and with a clear conscious. I intend to leave nothing but a foot print or two.

Weren't wels introduced in the 1950's? Most - if not all species regulations are by request based on majority opinion. If it were up to me, I'd eradicate all the dinks in the UK. (Guess I'm not in the majority)

Phone

All, (apologies to disturbed)

Please !! I'm with Anderoo on this one. If you want to eradicate fish by species don't ask for anglers to take on that burden. I'm gonna put back what I catch. I will do it intentionally and with a clear conscious. I intend to leave nothing but a foot print or two.

Weren't wels introduced in the 1950's? Most - if not all species regulations are by request based on majority opinion. If it were up to me, I'd eradicate all the dinks in the UK. (Guess I'm not in the majority)

Phone

Wels were introduced long before the 1950s phone, into stillwaters, you can still get a licence to stock them into waters not connected to a river system. This was all well and good but like the carp, and many other alien species, greed, and ego, got the better of some anglers, and those that attempted to create so called commercial fisheries. The stocking levels were high, new waters were dug on floodplains, fish escaped into the surrounding systems. This was also made worse by idiot anglers stocking them into rivers as well. There is a certain amount of control over fish stocked into a land locked water, but once they are in a river system, then it becomes much harder/impossible to have any control. 'Species regulations' are not decided by the majority, nor should they be. There are very few anglers I know, that I would trust to create, or even manage a fishery. You say not to put the burden on anglers to help control species, well many consider themselves to be 'guardians of the waterside', and angling as a whole has caused the the problem, so i believe it's only right that they should help solve it. We have legislation to cover what's happening, but anglers have decided that they will not act on it, and flout any laws covering it, pure hypocrisy when they complain about others who flout laws they agree with.

Unlike you, I have no problem with killing fish that shouldn't be in a water, and I also do it with a clear conscience. The same clear conscience I have when I stomp on a signal cray, and the same one I had when helping to trap mink.

John

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

It's was opposite Mythe Pool apparently, Uckinghall is further upstream, I fish them both, the Severn here is very deep so it is possible, to harbour such a fish. There have been reports of late of unseen monsters smashing up anglers, all along the Lower Severn!!!

Uckinghall FWIW is a prolific venue, holding large roach shoals and just about everything else, including Grass Carp, I have had them up to 18lb, but they are now in the adjacent river Severn. That's the problem with these 'Kettle' ponds every so often they flood into the river, so any exotic species dumped by thoughtless folk will find there way into the river.

As I have mentioned I have hooked into something big, on a couple of occasions, as many have down here, not salmon, or carp but possibly catfish.

The record Severn Barbel came from this area last October, and it is a fascinating stretch, but again can be soul destroying, not the sort of place to go if you like plenty of bites.

Will wander down there tomorrow and see if the jugglers trapeze artist, clowns etc have come to town!!

Edited by OTIB

Uckinghall FWIW is a prolific venue

That brought a smile to my face. We used to dread getting these lower Severn venues when I was a teenager fishing club matches because we knew that most people fishing would catch "Uckinghall".

Someone would land on the bream, someone else might have a barbel and everybody else would be scratching for bleak, eels and ruffe.

Of course, fishing multiple rods, modern baits (unlike luncheon meat, you know that a boilie or a piece of peperami is still on the hook after casting) and being able to fish in the evening when the light is less intense and the boat traffic has died down all help to make it a slightly less soul destroying.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

That brought a smile to my face. We used to dread getting these lower Severn venues when I was a teenager fishing club matches because we knew that most people fishing would catch "Uckinghall".

Someone would land on the bream, someone else might have a barbel and everybody else would be scratching for bleak, eels and ruffe.

Of course, fishing multiple rods, modern baits (unlike luncheon meat, you know that a boilie or a piece of peperami is still on the hook after casting) and being able to fish in the evening when the light is less intense and the boat traffic has died down all help to make it a slightly less soul destroying.

Sorry Ken I was meaning the pond, it's stuffed full of roach, but keep it to yourself. :thumbs: