Pole advice?

snotty

Some time ago I bought a cheap Leeda Assassin pole basically to play with and get a feel for pole fishing.

The time has come for me to upgrade to something a little more robust, however I am still on a budget so I dont want to spend more than approx £300 does anyone have any suggestions?

I have seen a Shimano technium around 13.5m very smooth, light and reasonably priced but any info will be gratefully received, thanks. :thumbs:

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Hi,

I too am new to Pole fishing and bought a Shimano technium XTA a few weeks ago after reading some great reviews.

I have to say i think its fantastic for the money and pretty light too, even at 13 metres.

My first pole was a Diawa TD Fast Carpin( which i still have), which is excellent but i find it heavier than the shimano and was more than twice the price when new.

All in i bought the shimano for £260. That included all 3 tops elasticated, fitted with adjusta bungs and bushes etc,3 sections fitted with maver joint noses and a expanda bung. That price included next day delivery too!

Great value for money. :thumbs::thumbs:

Whatever you do PLEASE visit a shop that has the poles set-up so you can handle them!! DO NOT take someone elses word that it is "A fantastic pole/tool" You will spend a LONG time being disappointed!!

It is well worth travelling to do this, you don't say where you are so I can't point you in a particular direction, but no doubt there are some on here who can? I know of only TWO shops who have or did have poles setup to try One in Sheffield and the other in Burnley. Not mentioning any names as up to you to find them!

Whatever you do PLEASE visit a shop that has the poles set-up so you can handle them!! DO NOT take someone elses word that it is "A fantastic pole/tool" You will spend a LONG time being disappointed!!

It is well worth travelling to do this, you don't say where you are so I can't point you in a particular direction, but no doubt there are some on here who can? I know of only TWO shops who have or did have poles setup to try One in Sheffield and the other in Burnley. Not mentioning any names as up to you to find them!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Thanks Chris I will be visiting a dealer as you suggest, there is a large dealer near me NWAC who do have such a set up its just that I value the sort of independent comments and advice found on this forum.

Darren it sounds like you got a pretty good deal can I ask where you got it?

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Of course, i purchased the pole from Fosters of Birmingham (great website).

Excellent customer service and very friendly staff,just give them a call.

Now ,as regards holding a pole first thats fine if you live close to a huge tackle store in Manchester, Birmingham etc but up here in the North east we have no stores that have poles available to hold. In fact very few sell them up here to be honest.

Therefore anglers like myself have to rely on information from magazines or forums or calling tackle dealers.

I am new to pole fishing, but have been an angler for over 20 years, mainly Fly fishing, but the same rules apply. If some fellow anglers or magazines recommend a particular rod or reel etc, its usually because they ARE good items of tackle.

As regards the pole, i basically went for the lightest pole with the best extras included for the price.I was also told by several tackle dealers that the Shimano was on par with any Maver rod costing £500.00. These poles sell!

I am in the midst of purchasing a Maver 151 competition thats a little under £500, i,m curious to see how much difference there is in weight/performance when i get to using it

Anyway, i hope you eventually get your new pole mate, best of luck to you. :thumbs: