bass lure fishing: clips or knot?

fishtr8

Hi all,

I have been reading on some websites about the negative effects that line clips (used for easy atachment and quick changing of lures) can have on the action of the lure. Many of these websites recommend the use of the Rapala knot, I thought I would just ask to find out what people use (i.e. clip or knot) and if it really makes any difference to the catch rates?

Also does anyone know if the Rapala knot is OK with fluorocarbon?

Cheers, Fishtr8

Edited by fishtr8

tr8

Tarpon 140

I use clips. Always have except when I worked on a game-fishing charter bought in South Africa. That was knots always, or traces twisted to the ring - pureley because clips were suspected and we used the same type of lure just in different colours on the 6 rods out.

never used the Rapala knot myself. I still use one I learnt out there - with mono and braid.

Edited to add the average fish was a 15kg yellowfin tuna. Biggest on that was a 300lb Bull shark. I shouldn't be too worried about bass in UK waters smashing you up on a Rapala. But I would say get decent clips.

Edited by Mark Crame

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

I've used both, and caught on both, plus have'nt had a problem using fluro carbon. Some lures , you can only use knots, as the diving vein makes it almost impossible to clip on. When I first started lure fishing , I did'nt know about the rapala knot, so just used a blood knot, and I still caught fish. I live on the east coast, so my lure fishing is fairly limited (I don't do freshwater)so I'm no expert, but its a great way of fishing.

Don't be afraid of using a clip - I have never lost a fish or lure to a clip letting go. You have to keep pressure on the fish though - I can imaging a head shake on loose line throwing a lure off a clip. The one I use is a Breakaway clip that is a complete loop - crooslocks are also very good.

The Rapala knot is strong and reliable - but a fiddle to tie every time. Tucked half blood is my preffered knot - uni knot for joining line is fine, but for some reason I cannot get them to work on a swivel or hook - 25lb mono tied with a uni I can break the knot in my fingers!! Tucked blood for me - it might not have the same strength in % terms, but it is a much more forgiving knot to tie and therefore more reliabel - which is a very important element.

Lures trolled will not be affected by a clip, very light casting lures can be, especially some of the small floating divers. The extra weight of the clip is enough to upset their balance. Knots for little, light lures, clips for bigger ones and any that I troll (except redgills!)

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

caught loads of bass on raps, just add a small swivel to the already attached split ring and a normal blood will do the trick, one bit of advice is have a pair of pliars at hand becauce you dont want a fish jumping around with two trebs in its mouth....

hi i find clips are alot easier than knots your able to change between surface or diving lures depending where the fish are feeding i use norman speed clips from america,but sakuma are doin a similar one called a fast link,you can do away with the standard split ring and connect straight to the lure.

I reckon that the plug / lure benefits from having a snap swivel to attach it which is quick and easy to change.

Buy the quality stainless ones and not to large.

I have in past tied a lure on direct and find there is a level of line twist. The snap swivel prevents this.

:thumbs:

I can tie a non-slip loop knot just as quickly as fiddling around with a clip, especially with cold wet hands. I have used norman speed clips to but now just tie direct to the lure.