UK Saltwater Fly fishing - Fly selection

fshdave

Hi

Travelling down to Cornwall next week (near Looe) and am taking some fly gear with me to try fishing off some rock marks. Couple of questions:

- Has anyone got a list of flies which are worth getting hold of? I expect there is the potential for a few bass or pollock

- I know for a fact there are loads of wrass around the rocks opposite St Georges Island in East Looe. (the glass bottom boat reveals all!) I've seen some "crab" flies on ebay - anyone had any success with these?

Finally, can you catch doggies on the fly? Couldn't escape them last year on my normal beach tackle!

Cheers

When do you go??? give me an addy by PM and I will send you a few freebies. What hook size do you want?

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Clousers and Decievers,for Bass,polock,coalfish

Mackerel and Gar try A white fritz, a slow sink tip line helps as well Good luck fella :thumbs:

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Clousers and Decievers,for Bass,polock,coalfish

Mackerel and Gar try A white fritz, a slow sink tip line helps as well Good luck fella :thumbs:

You read my mind mate!!! The main course is a selection of Snatchers sandeels though :rolleyes:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

You read my mind mate!!! The main course is a selection of Snatchers sandeels though :rolleyes:

Cheers. Will give it a go and let you know how I get on. Have PM'd Snatcher.

fshdave

hi Snatcher,

looks like your're the man to ask.

i fished my whole life for big game on offshore trolling, but the customers pressure to get big game on the Fly, too, so with the 2007 white marlin season we took the opportunity to use our countless whites to give it a shot, and what a shot.

i never did flyfishing before, absolutely newby. we raised countless marlin in the spray and teased them in casting range(30ft and less), hook ratio been very poor, but i did not expect to take a world record on something new for us. to tease them to the boat we used hookless lures of different colors(the Fly always been the same color and style than the used teaser), also as combos with naked and skirted hookless ballyhoo deadbaits, flies been provided by an american friend.

what would you recommend for Billfish and for our upcoming Dorado(mahi) season to get those spezies on the hook?

the tease and switch technique is the only one we practiced til now.

any hints and tricks would be highly appreciated.

thanks buddy and to everybody else giving tips on the board.

Mike

Mike

Punta Cana

www.MikesMarina.info

IPB Image

release all Billfish so our future kiddies can enjoy our beautiful Sport, too

hi Snatcher,

looks like your're the man to ask.

i fished my whole life for big game on offshore trolling, but the customers pressure to get big game on the Fly, too, so with the 2007 white marlin season we took the opportunity to use our countless whites to give it a shot, and what a shot.

i never did flyfishing before, absolutely newby. we raised countless marlin in the spray and teased them in casting range(30ft and less), hook ratio been very poor, but i did not expect to take a world record on something new for us. to tease them to the boat we used hookless lures of different colors(the Fly always been the same color and style than the used teaser), also as combos with naked and skirted hookless ballyhoo deadbaits, flies been provided by an american friend.

what would you recommend for Billfish and for our upcoming Dorado(mahi) season to get those spezies on the hook?

the tease and switch technique is the only one we practiced til now.

any hints and tricks would be highly appreciated.

thanks buddy and to everybody else giving tips on the board.

Mike

Mike I just make lures to order for mates and customers,I am not an expert on the actual fishing. Stan Massey is much more of an expert on the big game fishing side of things.

I will give you any help/support I can though. There is a link to Stans rod building site at the bottom of my signature. Catch ya later Mike :thumbs:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Mike,

Tony U

fishes the Caribian a lot too he may well help !

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Mike

I Fly fish for Tarpon and Bonefish; Marlin and Sailfish are out of my league, Though I would not mind having a go at Dorado with my 12 weight iwould imagine a big deceiver pattern on on a double 6/0 would work for them, tied to look like a Tuna or a Baby Dorado.

My problem is fishing Cuba as I do the boats lack decent teasers to bring the fish up, hence my flyfishing being confined to inshore.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.