Best River Quiver Rod?

MikeT

Hi chaps!

I'm looking for a new rod for the new season...

On 16 June, I hope to do some light leger work (2 or 3 SSG), roving about on the upper Dorset Stour for the chub (and big roach) in there. River characteristics: about 20-30 feet wide, about 8-12 feet deep, moderate to slow flow.

I have an old (1996) Daiwa Connoiseur X 11/13 Stillwater Quiver rod, with the optional 'Avon' hollow section tip (and a couple of very light push-in tips). Do you suppose this would be suitable for my purpose? I've never used it on running water, and the Avon tip seems very stiff to me.

If not, which is the very best rod available today? No upper budget limit! (Just don't tell the wife!)

I will be using 4lb or 6lb mono mainline, to 2-3lb hooklength with size 10-16 hooks, to fish bread, corn, worms, slugs, etc.

I'm massively grateful for your help!

Mike.

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

I've got a Masterline John Wilson Avon quiver and , if my memory serves me right , its the best selling rod of all time ( or at least one of them !!! )

Its extremely versatile , having a 2 foot dolly section to extend it from 11' to 13' , 3 quiver tips plus a 1.25 avon tip which is better suited to heavier float/ trotting tactics .

I've had Chub to 5lb 15oz on the quiver tip and carp to 18lb on the avon tip .

For me , its my fave rod in my armoury...and pretty inexpensive as well

Edited by nomadpaul

Hi there,

Your current rod would seem to be OK for the purpose you require, however you may have a slight problem with trying to flick 2or 3 ssg shot to the exact position you need to has i believe the rod was/is built for heavier work and may not have the flexibility in its action to be as responsive as you would wish for this light style of fishing.

I use a Normark light bomb rod which is ideal for this, it has 1, 1.5 and 2ozs quiver tips and is a very versatile rod with a light through action. This rod retailed at £225.00 when sold you may be able to find a used model at a very good price.

Other rods you may consider are.

1.Preston innovations quiver or fast feeder.

2.Normark quiver current model.

3.Prologic light feeder.

The later model is available via Tacklebargins at half price, use forum link as AN benefit should you purchase from them.

I hope this helps and i hope i have not steered you in the wrong direction.

Regards.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Many thanks for your replies.

I have looked at the Tacklebargain website, and there's certainly plenty of choice! I will certainly use the AN link to make any purchase from there.

Do you suppose the Normark Crusader Fast Feeder 11/13 ft Rod listed on there (about 3/4 of the way down the page) would suit? I know I should be looking for a rod with a throughish action, and a test curve of 1lb to 1.25lb or so, but it only describes the weight of the quiver tips. I suspect it may be too heavy for chub/roach fishing. Also, what makes a leger rod a feeder rod and not an Avon rod, or a light bomb rod?

I am extremely grateful for any further advice on this.

Best wishes,

Mike.

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

Ive got the rod youmention and would hapily use it for the purpose you describe, it is fairly beefy when used at 13ft but use it at 11ft and it is good "bomb rod" which I often use on the upper Medway for Roach and Chub.

The fast feeder would not be a good choice they are aimed at big river big feeder work. Good rod though.

Ive got the rod youmention and would hapily use it for the purpose you describe, it is fairly beefy when used at 13ft but use it at 11ft and it is good "bomb rod" which I often use on the upper Medway for Roach and Chub.

The fast feeder would not be a good choice they are aimed at big river big feeder work. Good rod though.

Excellent- thanks for this. Do you suppose the hollow Avon tip section would be suitable, or should I try to get some heavier quivers for the push-in top? The two supplied glass quivers are very light and I think they are only suitable for calm stillwater fishing, but the Avon section seems very insensitive (I have used it with Polaris leger floats with great success though).

For the rivers I have an old Diawa Porky Pig. 12'6" it has a great action and is quite robust when you get into the bigger fish. It's also great for legering on Carp Puddles as you can use any Diawa quivertip in the top.

I thought I'd bust it last week as it was in my rod holdall not in a tube and it fell over onto it. Still intact thank goodness. I'd ave been gutted.

Guest tigger
Hi chaps!

I'm looking for a new rod for the new season...

On 16 June, I hope to do some light leger work (2 or 3 SSG), roving about on the upper Dorset Stour for the chub (and big roach) in there. River characteristics: about 20-30 feet wide, about 8-12 feet deep, moderate to slow flow.

I have an old (1996) Daiwa Connoiseur X 11/13 Stillwater Quiver rod, with the optional 'Avon' hollow section tip (and a couple of very light push-in tips). Do you suppose this would be suitable for my purpose? I've never used it on running water, and the Avon tip seems very stiff to me.

If not, which is the very best rod available today? No upper budget limit! (Just don't tell the wife!)

I will be using 4lb or 6lb mono mainline, to 2-3lb hooklength with size 10-16 hooks, to fish bread, corn, worms, slugs, etc.

I'm massively grateful for your help!

Mike.

I have the connoiseur z 11/13 ft quiver rod with the optional avon top. I've used it on the river Eden and caught Greyling and Trout whilst ledgering with the avon top. I had no problem regarding bite registration .

I intend to try out on the River Ribble aiming for Barbel. I'd stick with the rod you already have it'll take some beating.

Thanks, Tigger- I appreciate it.

Well, I'll give the old Conny a go. I will post my results after the event, if I have anything useful to add.

Roll on, the 16th!