reformatting problem.

s_mac

Hi all, hope you can help, this has done my head in for 2 days.

first off all my computer started to freeze every time i booted up, and tried to connect the internet.

so i thought virus, anti virus found nothing.

so next i thought ok, will reformat the hard drive, got my disc out, im running windows xp pro. put the disc in, got all the way to reformat, reformatted. and it went through the usual, reformatted.loaded windows setup. it went through all the usual process, then restarted to setup windows, but each time, it goes back the same point where it asks to reformat. it will not boot up to setup, just keeps going in a circle, i cant get it to boot up and install windows after formatting, i have tried a new C drive in case the old one was shot. the disc is fine because after that i re formatted my wifes comp. no probs there.

sean

Edited by s_mac

woman want me, fish fear me

Sounds like your PC, after the format and copying files to the HD, is going back to reboot off the CD again.

What is the boot device order in your bios?

After the first reboot do you get the message press any key to boot from cd?

Edited by PDB

if the drive is in ntfs then dos wont see it ,boot of your cd then after it sets up take the cd out its booting using the CD (because you told it to in the bios) not the hard drive and going to into setup again

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

if the drive is in ntfs then dos wont see it ,boot of your cd then after it sets up take the cd out its booting using the CD (because you told it to in the bios) not the hard drive and going to into setup again

Hi chesters, i have took the Cd out when it says your computer will restart in 15 seconds, when it starts to boot up again, it then asks me to insert boot disk into drive "A".

the drive is ntfs. so any further advice would be greatful, as i dont want to be beaten by this, it has become a vendeta now lol.

sean

Hi chesters, i have took the Cd out when it says your computer will restart in 15 seconds, when it starts to boot up again, it then asks me to insert boot disk into drive "A".

the drive is ntfs. so any further advice would be greatful, as i dont want to be beaten by this, it has become a vendeta now lol.

sean

Have you tried checking the boot order in your BIOS?

It can usually be set to check the drives in a given order. ATM yours seems to be going, CD, A drive, Hard Drive

What you could try is CD, Hard Drive, A drive

Good Luck!

Len

disable look for floppy as well if it has an option.

so long as you take out the cd the second time it tries to run setup and return the bios to boot from disk0 it should be ok ,very strange

ps you dont want it to boot from the cd first after the install

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

It shouldn't make any difference what the boot order is in bios once set up is started the boot will be always be from cd while the install is taking place. Once windows is installed it should boot from hard drive so long as there is no bootable cd in drive. It's best not to remove the cd during install but you could after the first restart change the boot order in bios to hard drive then cd drive then floppy. After you save and exit that should be it. Your pc should boot from HD each time but only after windows is installed. Another thing you could try is the actual cd drive, it could be faulty and not reading the cd properly.

Good luck

A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work

It shouldn't make any difference what the boot order is in bios once set up is started the boot will be always be from cd while the install is taking place. Once windows is installed it should boot from hard drive so long as there is no bootable cd in drive. It's best not to remove the cd during install but you could after the first restart change the boot order in bios to hard drive then cd drive then floppy. After you save and exit that should be it. Your pc should boot from HD each time but only after windows is installed. Another thing you could try is the actual cd drive, it could be faulty and not reading the cd properly.

Good luck

I have tried a new hard drive that i had around which had never been used, it did the same. so what i did was put the new hard drive in an old computer my had, and did the full reformat and instal. just incase there was a CD problem. in reformated and instaled no problem and is working lovely.

so i know its not a HD problem ior disc problem.

i have tried to disable the floppy. and boot from CD,

regards sean.

I have tried a new hard drive that i had around which had never been used, it did the same. so what i did was put the new hard drive in an old computer my had, and did the full reformat and instal. just incase there was a CD problem. in reformated and instaled no problem and is working lovely.

so i know its not a HD problem ior disc problem.

i have tried to disable the floppy. and boot from CD,

regards sean.

I didn't mean the actual disc I meant the reader could be the problem, at least it's worth a try.

A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work