DVD RW types ?

RobStubbs

I took the plunge and bought a new PC and very pleased with it I am too ! It has a DVD RW drive built in but I cannot work out what DVD's I should buy (and if I can also use CD RW's).

The drive is listed as "DVD1RW (+R Double layer)" on their website - so does that mean it will take DVD +RW's and presumably the +RW double layer ones as well (and CD +RW's) ?

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

most modern drives will run anything but watch what you maybe putting the copies on! older dvd players prefer - (minus) unfortunately the dual layer blank dvd's are still expensive to buy

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

For now I want to use something for personal backups, I don't intend using them to distribute stuff on. From the amount of data I can get on them, the cheaper DVD RW's look more than adequate.

Cheers,

Rob.

RW disks (CD or DVD) are not the most reliable medium for backups, or anything else. Also, they can only be read by machines with packet writing software installed (such as Nero InCD or Roxio Direct CD). You'd be better off using +R disks.

Cheers

Ian.

I'm not thinking true backup, more things like copying photo's onto disk to prevent losing them all when things crash and likewise for some of my more important documents.

Rob.

If you let me know make and number of your writer I'll let you know about duel layer. No matter what speed it's capable of writing at try using no faster than 4x or it can miss files or fail all together, depending on wether or not you continue to use you pc while writing and your power supply wattage. + discs tend to work better with most modern dvd reader and players and your writer should recognise which disc you use. Some dvd recorders will only play -discs so if you want to see your pics on tv use those and make a slide show.

A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work

RW disks (CD or DVD) are not the most reliable medium for backups, or anything else. Also, they can only be read by machines with packet writing software installed (such as Nero InCD or Roxio Direct CD). You'd be better off using +R disks.

Cheers

Ian.

This is just not true. You can make a DVD-RW withe Nero 6 that will work in most PCs runninh 98SE or better as long as the DVD drive has the RW logo on it. I use DVD-RWs when I am experimenting with a new DVD so that I don't waste any DVD-R disks. All of my set top boxes will also read DVD-RWs as long as the disk has been 'finalised'.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

OK, I lied. (Not really :rolleyes:)

Which bit is not true?

But, quote: "CDRW discs, especially when used with packet writing, are not a

reliable backup mechanism. You'd be better off using CDRs and

mastering, rather than packet writing."

from http://www.futurehardware.in/126250.htm

"I used to use DirectCD to copy files onto cds instead of always burning and erasing and burning and erasing RWs. That stopped when my formatted disks all slowly began to die and I lost the data. Now I've learned about how unreliable packet writing software is and don't plan on using them anymore."

From: http://forums.support.roxio.com/lofiversio....php/t8268.html

And many more.

Plus my own experience.

If you want to entrust your data to RW media, then feel free. I will not.

Thanks Cory.

Cheers

Ian.

Edited by IanR

I have a massive collection of photographs dating back several years, that I dig out and re-use regularly. I have yet to come across a single dud, although they are not on re-writables. They are too slow to write anyway - and more expensive.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.