Catching Arctic Char

Gerbil0154

Interesting stuff,err as indeed is most stuff about Ferrox! Would be most interested in the details of the book you refer to and hearing how you get on.Spent many hours trolling for Ferrox in the late 80's,a great target fish.Will certainly give Char a try if I can source some next time I cross the border.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone could take a few moments to educate me, is This pretty accurate?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I have no problems about using wild arctic char for bait. They are not rare at all, in fact they are prolific in the right habitat and can easily sustain a regular rod & line fishery. Take a good fish finder out onto Coniston Water and you will see what I mean. It is the HABITAT we need to protect not the fish. Let's beware of calling anything "rare" - the next thing you know a bunch of do-gooders will have it on the protected list and we won't be able to fish for it at all! The Whitefish are a good case in point - they are under siege from acid rain, introduced species, excess nutrients etc. but banning fishing for them (which has been done)will not save them. Only saving their habitat will do that. Again, take a fish finder onto Ullswater - it is stuffed full of Schelly. If they were catchable on rod & line I would be out there fishing for them and I would not feel guilty about it. If you read Ron Greer's book you will see why! Phew! I feel better now I've got that off my chest. See the Sea Fishing forum and the "Downrigger" thread for more info on how to catch the little critters - they do make good bait and they taste great on the barbie as well....FF2

jim

Ron's book is an excellent read, it's quite an eye opener with regard to the amount of water required to support 1kg of Ferox. I can't remember exactly but I belive the Char only migrate to the shallows and feeder streams to breed returning to deeper water thereafter. All I can say is . . good luck.

Andrew Boyd