Pike Fishing

Dave-C

I have quite a range of pike rods (in fact after saying that I donyt really compared to say carp or ledger rods!)-

Since around 1988 Ive been using the origonal Drennan Pike Deadbait and Pike Float rods.I was given an early pair of these to try and they are one of the very few pieces of gear I tested that Ive either kept or still used.Neither are particularly powerfull and as such I rarely fish more than 30m with them. For heavier duty work/long range I used to use four of Steve Burkes 3lb Conquerers sadly stolen and even if I had the cash no longer replaceable.Now for the same job I simply use my 4lb TC Bruce&Walker cat rods! strangely enough these dont really over power the fish. Other rods Ive used/tested and were happy with are the old Tricast 12'6" 3 1/4lb the Dave Lumb P1's and the old Terry Eustace Big Pike Specials (glass fibre).

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigger
I have quite a range of pike rods (in fact after saying that I donyt really compared to say carp or ledger rods!)-

Since around 1988 Ive been using the origonal Drennan Pike Deadbait and Pike Float rods.I was given an early pair of these to try and they are one of the very few pieces of gear I tested that Ive either kept or still used.Neither are particularly powerfull and as such I rarely fish more than 30m with them. For heavier duty work/long range I used to use four of Steve Burkes 3lb Conquerers sadly stolen and even if I had the cash no longer replaceable.Now for the same job I simply use my 4lb TC Bruce&Walker cat rods! strangely enough these dont really over power the fish. Other rods Ive used/tested and were happy with are the old Tricast 12'6" 3 1/4lb the Dave Lumb P1's and the old Terry Eustace Big Pike Specials (glass fibre).

What's your favourite livebait rod ?

As I say I use the old Daiwa Tournament Whisker Kevlar 11 ft 6 and 2 1/4 test Carp rod but to look at it you would think it was 1.5 / 1.75 test.

My m8 uses a trio of Nevil Fickling pike 13 ft 2 1/4 test whisker kevlars which are great for distance casting.

Across the board I would have to say the Drennan Deadbait rod.But when I need to get a free running sunk pat rig out a distance or in to a wind the heavier rods are needed.All have very "through" type actions.

Only time Ive ever used a fast taper rod (or I should say found the need to) and that was a Centurey Continental Express 2 3/4 lb fast taper carp rod was when trying to fish at ultra long range from the causeway at Abberton.Small deads (frozen sandeels/launce) tucked down behind a 4ozs lead sea fishing style then refroze with plumbers freeze spray. No probs with bait comming off but still very hard to fish regularly much beyond 120m.

When casting lives the best with any outfit has to be a gentle progressively building up "lob" else you not only rip the bait off the hooks but damage it on hitting the water.

As you said though it really depends on personal interpretations of whats short and long distance and as I said very little of my live baiting is done in excess of much more than 30m cast.

A friend had a pair of the Daiwa Neville Fickling pike rods and he seemed happy enough with them.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!