Knot

There have been a couple of helpful threads recently on knots, particularly for tying to eyed hooks, swivels etc, which have convinced me I should abandon my much beloved half blood knot for the grinner. But what about tying a mono mainline to a nylon loop (as, for example, a shop-bought hook to nylon)? I've got to admit I use the half blood knot for that, too. I'll bet it's wrong! What should I use?

john clarke

For my part, I have always tied a double surgeon knot to create a further loop (this can be found easily by Googling) and then connect loop to loop i.e. thread the hook link through the new loop on the mainline and then pass the hook through its own loop on the hook link

If you want another loop, the (newish) rapala knot is the best I've ever seen for that purpose.

rapala.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The only thing I would use in this instance is a loop to loop conection. I have never liked tying mono on to a mono loop.

That said when I use hook to nylon I dispence with the loop and use a simple 3 turn water knot.

Edited by A Worm OOE

here is the loop-2-loop connection

loop2loop.gif

just tie a overhand loop at the end of the mainline

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I used loop to loop for years. Then I started just using the surgeons knot for hooklengths. I think it's stronger and it's neater. If you are tying on a pre-tied hook to nylon, just cut the loop off. It's slightly awkward because you have to pull the hook through the loop twice as you are tying it but as long as you have the loop held in place between left thumb and forefinger it is pretty straightforward.

surgeons-knot.jpg

People often get confused by diagrams for this knot (and now I look at this particular one I can see why!). In the diagram, as held by a right hander, the hooklength would be the blue line and the mainline the dark line. The hooklength should really continue off to the right and the mailine off to the left but this is never shown. You are pulling the whole of the hooklength (with hook if attached) through the loop.

edit: here's a clearer diagram

surgeonsknot.gif

Edited by ColinW

Well, thank you for some perfectly viable ideas, but I'm not clear when you are all recommending them whether it is simply a personal preference or whether you are saying the knot is stronger - and on what evidence.

john clarke

Loop to loop for me.I dont really like tying line to a loop im nylon etc as the knot can pull over the nylon thats forming the loop and collapse (grinners,bloods etc) however I sometimes do this with lighter lines when targheting small fish just for speed in the event of a break.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I used loop to loop for years. Then I started just using the surgeons knot for hooklengths. I think it's stronger and it's neater. If you are tying on a pre-tied hook to nylon, just cut the loop off. It's slightly awkward because you have to pull the hook through the loop twice as you are tying it but as long as you have the loop held in place between left thumb and forefinger it is pretty straightforward.

surgeons-knot.jpg

People often get confused by diagrams for this knot (and now I look at this particular one I can see why!). In the diagram, as held by a right hander, the hooklength would be the blue line and the mainline the dark line. The hooklength should really continue off to the right and the mailine off to the left but this is never shown. You are pulling the whole of the hooklength (with hook if attached) through the loop.

edit: here's a clearer diagram

surgeonsknot.gif

I think this looks remarkably like a 'water knot' that I've seen people use for tying a paternoster or a small leader for pinching shot to when legering.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine