ejected innards!

Kieran Hanrahan

Hi

Read a recent post by Davy Holt where he says that blue sharks can eject their stomachs in an effort to free themselves and then swallow them back down without any ill effects.

I will be fishing in 40 m plus shortly and in the past we have often taken fish up suffering from what we had assumed was decompression with what we always thought were bloated swim bladders protruding through their mouths. Is that right?

I have seen people puncture the swim bladders (?) to let the fish swim back down but always assumed that the fish was a goner, and that it would either starve or more likely get snapped up by something larger... Is that right?

And finally are there any other fish that can eject their stomachs and reingest them without any ill effects...

Sorry for such a long question!

Thanks

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

Apart from conger eels, I have had most fish eject their swim bladders when brought up from deep water.

If the fish is vented correctly, they will survive.

Puncturing the swim bladder is not the way to do it.

This website has the information you require, including a video.

http://www.flseagrant.org/science/venting/

[ 01. September 2003, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Cranfield ]

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

HIya,

Kieran Hanrahan:

I will be fishing in 40 m plus shortly and in the past we have often taken fish up suffering from what we had assumed was decompression with what we always thought were bloated swim bladders protruding through their mouths. Is that right?

Yup it's the decompression thats causing it, if yo slow your retrieve right down it will help.

I have seen people puncture the swim bladders (?) to let the fish swim back down but always assumed that the fish was a goner, and that it would either starve or more likely get snapped up by something larger... Is that right?

I've seen it done but I'm not sure as to how effective it is

And finally are there any other fish that can eject their stomachs and reingest them without any ill effects...

Not coming from any great depth, most shark species can do it, but the since they dont have swim bladders they dont have the same problem with depths. The only non shark, skate & ray that I know of that can survive being brought up from depths is Conger Eels for some reason they are capable of venting the excess gas before they reach the surface. Quite often you will see the bubbles hit the surface long before the conger appears.

Sorry for such a long question!

No need to be sorry.. I'm just glad someone read one of my postings :D:D:D

Thanks

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

A lot of fish puke when you play them. Sharks just go one step further. Tope often trow-up the stomach to try to rid themselves of a hook despite being hooked cleanly in the corner of the mouth. And its not depth related - I have had shore caught bullhuss vom all over me!

The swim bladder thing is a different issue, relating to retrieving fish with this organ (the cod and wrasse families for example) from depth at a fast rate.

Using a needle/canula to "deflate swim-bladders" may work, but a slow retrieve is a better option. If you are going to deflate a swim bladder it is the body cavity you need to pierce - not anything sticking out of the fishs mouth or hole. The link given by Cranfield is pretty much spot on.