Newbie Wanting Barbel

Stupot85

Hi all.

I started fishing a couple of years ago on the Trent in Attenborough Nature Reserve, Nottingham. I usually float fish maggot and always take a nice catch of small (2-10 oz) perch and roach. One night as I was finishing fishing I watched someone pull in a weighed 8lb barbel and it just caught my imagination.

looking round the internet I've seen a few tips that below the weir in beeston is the place to be for barbel.

Is the start of the new season a good time for barbel and what sort of tactics should I use? Feeder with Gbait/hemp/casters/maggot? Meat on the hook? are hair rigs the better option?

I'm not after anyhting huge but would just like to see what it feels like to get a bend in the rod.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated?

Many thanks in advance.

Your in luck mate, fished there most of last season lol if your after barbel you wont go far wroing with a feeder approach and pellet/hemp and lots of them a word of warning don't fish maggot as theres so many small chub and roach knocking about. If you want any info on pegs e.t.c drop me a pm.

Hey Mark.

great to see someone local. don't think i can pm at the minute because i havent made enough posts.

would love a couple of hints at decent pegs though. is it best to fish in the middle of the river or towards the banks?

what about luncheon meat as a hook bait? any tips on flavours or preparing the meat. never done anyhting like that before.

Your in luck mate, fished there most of last season lol if your after barbel you wont go far wroing with a feeder approach and pellet/hemp and lots of them a word of warning don't fish maggot as theres so many small chub and roach knocking about. If you want any info on pegs e.t.c drop me a pm.

Collingham Weir is also a good place.Fished there a few times,peg No 1 with a feeder and luncheon meat.

Plenty of barbel between 3lb and 6lb,some nice chub as well. :D

IF IT'S CALLED "COMMON SENSE" WHY DO SO FEW PEOPLE HAVE IT.

Collingham Weir is also a good place.Fished there a few times,peg No 1 with a feeder and luncheon meat.

Plenty of barbel between 3lb and 6lb,some nice chub as well. :D

collingham not to far from me :thumbs: who controls the water there ?

gatso.gif

Here you go

Venue Fact File

River Trent, Collingham, Notts

Controlling club: Collingham AA controls a 300-peg stretch from Peg 1a at Collingham Weir to Peg 300 at Beesthorpe

Tickets: £3 day ticket on the bank. You need to apply to join the club and there is a waiting list. The cost is £35 for seniors, £5 for juniors and £10 for intermediates

How to get there: Collingham village lies off the A1133 just northeast of Newark. Off Low Street, take Ferry Lane and at the church follow the signpost to the river. You can drive onto the flood bank

IF IT'S CALLED "COMMON SENSE" WHY DO SO FEW PEOPLE HAVE IT.

Hi markp

Becuase I'm new to this I can't send PM's

Once Ive got my rating up I will get in touch.

Do use a hair rig or not? because Ive never tried to set one up

I'd say i hair rig 90% of the time as im mainly fishing pellet or boilies as hook bait. As for where to fish ill tell you later ;)

i'm working from memory here.

once over the little bridge head right to the changing rooms , beyond which is the conctreate slope of the weir ,go to the first tree .fish directly in front of you no more than a quarter way out (if the sand bank is visable just beyond the top edge of that) there's usually a good flow down the centre try to stay just this side of that anywhere down that side will do but if you can get onto the sandbank areas do so.

after the bend is a gravel bed ,keep to either the top or bottom ends ,in the middle;opersite is very shallow & close in is a slightly deeper run & its best to fish to the top where it widens out into the bend ,or right at the bottom end in fact just beyond that Tucked in between the bushes should enough room to fush ,fish no further out than two thirds,either slightly up stream or down the centre

the rest you'll have to find for yourself ,as its been a few years since my last trip there,and thats half the fun.

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Here you go

Venue Fact File

River Trent, Collingham, Notts

Controlling club: Collingham AA controls a 300-peg stretch from Peg 1a at Collingham Weir to Peg 300 at Beesthorpe

Tickets: £3 day ticket on the bank. You need to apply to join the club and there is a waiting list. The cost is £35 for seniors, £5 for juniors and £10 for intermediates

How to get there: Collingham village lies off the A1133 just northeast of Newark. Off Low Street, take Ferry Lane and at the church follow the signpost to the river. You can drive onto the flood bank

thanks for that, :thumbs::thumbs:

gatso.gif