how long do carp spawn for?

henda11

It varies, and is quite dependant on the weather. Sometimes they'll go for ir for a couple of days, the temperature will drop and they'll stop, and then they'll have another go in a week's time. Some years they'll spawn more than once and I dare say some years they don't spawn at all (don't know for sure).

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Spawning is dependant on several things, the most notable being water temperature. Ideally water temps in the 18 - 22c will see spawning get underway. Not all carp spawn at the same time and if there are not enough males some of the big girls may not spawn at all.

In my lake here in France we started seeing carp spawning at the end of April and due to the up and down temperatures this May they have stopped and started almost weekly. My commons completed spawning about 2 weeks ago but we are still seeing mirrors with spawn and males spraying milt all over the mat <_<

I think that this year spawning has been all to cock all over europe due to extremes of weather, and changes every couple of days.

When conditions are right (temperature mostly, as already noted) the males move in to the spawning areas near the bank. Usually areas with reeds if any are available. They basically stay there as long as there are females ready to spawn.

A female will move in among the males and be battered around to force the eggs out. Once this is done (in a few hours usually) she leaves but others move in.

Fishing in among the actively spawning fish is futile if you are after lip hooked carp. You may foul hook an occasional one. If the lake is large enough you might have some success fishing out away from the bank if you can locate an area where the females wait their turn or stop for a rest after the deed is done. A large lake with a sharp break in bottom depth is easiest for this and you fish on the deep side of the break (which can be only 1-3 feet depth change).

I dunno about the UK but we have a species of catfish (channel cats) in the States that is perfectly happy to move in among the spawning fish and feast on the eggs. They can occasionally be caught on lobworm if you put one right in front of their nose.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

When conditions are right (temperature mostly, as already noted) the males move in to the spawning areas near the bank. Usually areas with reeds if any are available. They basically stay there as long as there are females ready to spawn.

A female will move in among the males and be battered around to force the eggs out. Once this is done (in a few hours usually) she leaves but others move in.

Fishing in among the actively spawning fish is futile if you are after lip hooked carp. You may foul hook an occasional one. If the lake is large enough you might have some success fishing out away from the bank if you can locate an area where the females wait their turn or stop for a rest after the deed is done. A large lake with a sharp break in bottom depth is easiest for this and you fish on the deep side of the break (which can be only 1-3 feet depth change).

I dunno about the UK but we have a species of catfish (channel cats) in the States that is perfectly happy to move in among the spawning fish and feast on the eggs. They can occasionally be caught on lobworm if you put one right in front of their nose.

Interesting read Newt.

In my lake we have had a lot of fish, especially commons spawning against rocks (ouch !) in the deepest part of the lake, around 16ft whereas others are keeping to the rules and doing the business in the shallows.

Interesting about the commons and deeper water. Competition for the best spots meybe.

I only have commons in any of the lakes around here and I've only seen the others in photos.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Like Oldfella, the fish in Loggies spawned in early April when the water was 64F, they stopped after a couple of days, and only resumed early this week. Hopefully they will now setle down for a feed.

This Old fella fancied my bait though :)

twentyfivetwoounces.jpg

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Guest Brumagem Phil

Nice fish, but targetting them whilst spawning is frowned upon isn't it? :rolleyes:

Edited by Brumagem Phil