how long do carp spawn for?

henda11

Phil - I seriously doubt if the carp were spawning when that photo was taken.

Nice fish Den. Wish I had those beasties around here.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Brumagem Phil
Phil - I seriously doubt if the carp were spawning when that photo was taken.

Nice fish Den. Wish I had those beasties around here.

So why post it on this thread now? His remark seems quite clear......."This Old fella fancied my bait though".

Perhaps PD can clarify?

Quite pleased with it myself Newt. One of the original stock, they don't come out very often.

Phil, my point was, and I thought the pic made it very clear, was that even though some of the fish were spawning/carying spawn, not all the fish in the lake were at it. (and I wanted to show off a bit :) )

Nicely proportioned fish, not carrying spawn.

Anytime from March to July you will come across one or other species of fish which are spawning, funny that no one seems to get uptight about fishing for Roach and Bream when they are spawning.

All quiet on the lake today, no spawning activity, so can I go again tomorrow :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Guest Brumagem Phil

Actually PD, I agree with you regarding the spawning issue. Nobody gives the poor old pimply bream a break :schmoll:

I was just a bit surprised that given how vociferous you argued your cruelty case with me regarding netting, that you had actually gone carp fishing slap bang in the middle of their spawning season. Just smacked me as a bit of double standards.

Never to mind though.........not wishing to make an issue of it, and it sure is a nice lookin old mirror! :thumbs:

Not a problem Phil, simply fish a different part of the lake from where the fish have congregated to spawn, been my philosophy for 50+ years of carping :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I have long been of the opinion that when carp are actually spawning they dont feed any way.But is it right to catch them when they are full of spawn (pre spawning) or exhausted and needing to feed to recover post spawning? Please note Im not condeming here as Im not entirely sure if it does do harm or could maybe be argued as a good thing (ie easily available food going in) Carp are a pretty hardy species but Im interested more in what people have seen in the way of "for/against" rather than personal preference/morals.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I have long been of the opinion that when carp are actually spawning they dont feed any way.But is it right to catch them when they are full of spawn (pre spawning) or exhausted and needing to feed to recover post spawning? Please note Im not condeming here as Im not entirely sure if it does do harm or could maybe be argued as a good thing (ie easily available food going in) Carp are a pretty hardy species but Im interested more in what people have seen in the way of "for/against" rather than personal preference/morals.

As the biggest single killer of carp is stress it stands to reason that to catch a carp and subject it to extreme stress whilst it is trying to recover from spawning, which in itself subjects the carp to high levels of stress, is not to be recommended.

it can harm the spawn and sometimes harm the fish when catching them whilst spawning, it was also i fair comment about there being no complains when catching roach whilst spawning. you can still fish for carp during this time as not all spawn at the same time due to recent common changes it the climate and males will still be feeding, on occasion you may catch the odd carp in spawn and due to carp being curious you may carnt them foul hook. either way they get a free feed and all being well they will not suffer due to being caught.

not much joy in the carp seen around here due to spawning season, which brings me to the reason im reading these posts, the extreme climate changes will surely have altered the spawning season so does anyone know when the carp will start feeding again in the uk, as i mostly fish carp and go often but as it is that time of year the past few weeks have been quiet and i have not bagged any serious carp just a few small ones upto 2 to 4 pound.

thank you for taking the time to read this and good look with you fishing in the coming future.

fine looking fish PD...

thaine

(carpmad) :thumbs: