Any tips

Mike07

Just started fishing done a little bit before but nothing serious but me and my bro have been float fishing on a small lake near us for about two weeks.

Had a few carp on the float with sweetcorn only 2lb ers but the lake has some real carp monsters in there,so we are going to using boilies this weekend with hair rig etc.

have you got any tips on pre-baiting is there a chance you can over feed?

Best thing with the lake no one fishies it as its little trek to get to and alot of people use different ponds for accessability also willesley lake is only a couple off miles down the road if anyone has heard of it.

So do you think they would take any type of boilie as they are not commercially fished?

I take it you're somewhere near Ashby De La Zouch?

Only thing I would suggest is: if the water gets very little pressure, try baiting several likely areas with hempseed, then creep around them in turn looking for signs of feeding fish. If you throw the feed in the margins, under branches etc, you should see bubbles, swirls and other disturbance if fish are present and feeding.

Best bait option in this situation will be a whole lobworm, or bunch of dendro's. Natural baits will catch much better than boilies if the fish haven't seen boilies before.

Edited by coarsefish-torbay

The Mahseer Trust, working for one of the world's iconic fish and the rivers they live in

www.mahseertrust.org

Fishery info for the Westcountry:
www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

It sounds similar to a lake I fish at near meahsam just down the road from Willesley apart from there are very few carp in this lake, and the ones that are there are all about 20lbs. What is the name of the lake/who owns it?

As for best strategy during the summer I like surface fishing for carp, you can even select the fish to try and catch and pull the bait away from any small fish before they take it.

Errrm

am i right in thinking that when you feed the line through a boilie you just put a hair stop and holds it in place?

Exactly right.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I agree with the natural baits probably working best in your pond. lobworm or slug. Corn and hemp should aslo work well if you prebait near to natural holding spots around fallen trees and weeds or the margins. Floating bread and chum mixers should work well on the surface. In summer over feeding isn't normally a problem but is still possible. However loose feed and prebaiting will give the carp confidance to feed. Try to keep noise down to a minimum and your shadow off the water if fishing the margins.

A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work