Crab / Lobster / Prawn nets

Mark Crame

what are the names of the edible crabs, prawns and lobsters in the british isles......i think i need some pics before i start munching

Also there are Velvet Swmmers and squat lobsters which are all good to eat.

Crayfish (crawfish) are also very, very good.

:thumbs:

• 1 year later...

I missed this first time around - just stumbled across it looking through some logs.

Amazing what you find so close to home - the baby squid was a real surprise to me.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• 2 months later...

Any time :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• 1 month later...

Read your article about your crabbing exploits. Sounds like great fun.

I am attaching a couple of pics of my kayak crabbing approach. I have rigged my kayak for aggressive crab hunting.

In the pics you will see a load of crabs in my lap. These have been dumped out of my trap into my Crab Apron and I'm paddling away from my trap to sort for keepers.

The Crab Apron, I had made at a local sail shop to fit the specs of my kayak. It gives me a deep well between my legs to hold the crabs for sorting. I put the keepers behind me in the rear compartment.

Another pic shows the type of traps I use. They are like the commercial traps except I had them made smaller, 24".

The trap you had in your article has the misfortune of feeding more seals than crabs.

The photo of my kayak with outriggers I built, help me support the weight of the trap and crabs when I pull up the trap. I have had as many as 23 crabs in one pot.

I've worked it out where I only use one outrigger on the right side, which is the side I pull up the traps. The outriggers swings up and out of the way when I want to move faster.

I also use a 12v depth finder to locate the deep channels where the main crab traffic travels and feeds. It also tells me if I have enough line on my trap to drop at that location.

In Oregon we have a daily limit of 12 male keepers per day. In my crab diary to date I show a total catch of 387 keepers in the past three years.

I reside in and crab out of Portland Oregon, soon to retire to Mexico and spend my days kayaking on the Sea of Cortez. We are shopping for a couple of Delta 15.5 Expedition kayaks which will allow us to do some multiple overnight trips.

I'm not sure if the attachments made it.

Ciao,

Rob Perry

Viva La Vida

post-16356-1235607479_thumb.jpg

Hi Rob,

The pic works fine,there are ways to get a bigger pic on-if you search related posts it should become clear.

That apron looks perfect for that use but I imagine would also be good as a stripping basket when fly fishing from a yak.

Thanks for posting,

Jon.

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

• 3 weeks later...