10 Best Lures

Dave-C

If you had to choose from all the pike lures you've used or had which 10 would you take with you fishing if tha's all you could take? How would you retrieve them and why?

If you could only take 3 or 4 deadbaits which would you choose?

A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you had to choose from all the pike lures you've used or had which 10 would you take with you fishing if tha's all you could take? How would you retrieve them and why?

If you could only take 3 or 4 deadbaits which would you choose?

These two are probably the most asked questions across the various forums!

Deads, well, what works where you go fishing? You need to ask in your local tackle shop. Not that I deadbait that often now but I do have great confidence in smelt and kalamari, both work when lures don't.

As for lures, what suits one set of conditions might not suit another. But if I am out on the road I always carry the following:

A few good spoons like the Landa Pikko.

A few spinner baits.

A handful of soft bodied shads and mag grubs. BassPro do some excellent ones with bibs.

A couple of Shakespeare Big S and Ryobi Muggers.

A couple of Heddon Meadow Mice.

A handful of spinners such as Vibrax.

Nothing huge, forget the massive stuff.

I don't seem to go without when it comes to catching!

I'd take

Spinnerbaits

Abu Toby spoons

Fox bullnose for reservoirs

Shads

Shallow diving plugs

As far as deadbaits goes

Mackerel - my No. 1 bait...casts well, oily and seems to work very well.

Sardine - doesn't cast as well but great on rivers.....again, very smelly

Roach (fresh as possible) naturally occuring fish in most rivers/lakes so always good.

Best thing about Mackerel and sardine is they are easily obtainable & the supermarket size mackerel can be filleted to make even more baits.

This is what I wrote recently on lure choice on another topic:

"It's impossible to give any advice on which specific lures to try without knowing the depth of the water. This is because many lures (be they spinner, spoon, plug or whatever) are designed to work in a specific depth range. Outside of their optimum depth range they'll be way inferior to other lures."

I've purposely put the last sentence in bold as depth control is so important.

So for me the choice of lure would very much depend on the time of year, the water I'd be fishing, and in particular its depth. I'd add that when trolling from a boat I'd use different lures to when I'm casting. I prefer to troll crankbaits as these give much more depth control than a sinking lure such as a spoon.

At this time of year I love surface fishing for pike and so I'd make sure I had some surface lures with me. My most successful in the past has been the Argobast Jitterbug. However I've recently bought some bigger surface lures to try to sort out some bigger pike, and I'm itching to have a go with these....

As for retrieves, I've generally found that a straight retrieve is very effective for surface lures. However I don't hesitate to experiment if this doesn't produce.

For sub-surface fishing I like to carry a variety of different types of lures to work from just below the surface to scraping the bottom. This means that with floating divers such as crankbaits I have to carry a selection that work at different depths. However it'll mean I take a different selection to different waters.

If though I were forced to choose just one lure it would undoubtedly be a standard thickness spoon. This is because they're so versatile and can be fished effectively at a variety of depths and speeds. My overall favourite has to be the largest 3½inch size of Abu Atom. I only wish it were available in larger sizes!

As for the retrieve with spoons, I find a rather more erractic retrieve usually outfishes a steady one. The speed of retrieve I start with depends on the water temperature - in general the colder, the slower. I'd add though that I often also go slower in very warm weather.

Turning to deadbaits, again it depends on the water. On my own pits at Wingham I usually use 3 rods and I start with 3 different baits and take it from there. Experience has shown me that mackeral, lamphrey and smelts are the most consistent at Wingham. However if fishing a new water I'd take a wider variety until a pattern emerged. I'd add though that patterns can and do change!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

The water in question is Rudyard lake near Leek in Stafford. It's around 12' deep in most places and at the moment the water is quite murky, almost tan in colour. There doesn't seem to be much weed cover around though there are plenty of overhanging trees and rocks at the waters edge. The rocks are a nightmare to spin over. I have booked a small boat for the day so should be able to cover plenty of water.

A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work

Yes probably the most frequently asked predator question...not that I mind as its a good one!

The likes of Peter (who probably lure fishs more regularly than any of us) and Steves comments are about right for me but heres my two penneth worth.

I select my lures basicly for the job I want them to do! First consideration is at what depth I want them to fish.This and light conditions also influence the colours I choose.

I have also in recent years made a concious choice of both size and action of the lure.On some waters pike are attracted by large lures and violent actions and on others they seem to be actually scared by them.Just a matter of getting to know your waters.

I suppose if I jhad to name 10 lures I would have to list it as the following (where Ive given multriple lures Im equally happy with them)

1. 5" Copper coloured Spoon- Landa Pikko,Kussumo Proffeser (or the heavier guage Arboghast Doctor) ABU Atom

2. Squirrely Burt

3. Bulldawg/Ugly Joe

4. Suick Thriller

5. Poes Jackpot

6. Grandma

7. Depthraider

8.Invader (deep and shallow)

9.Dolphin type jerk bait

10.Proper rubber shad/worm as opposed to Bulldawg ie Super Sandra,Mogambo Grub, Shad

If only one then it would have to be the 5"+ Copper spoon.

Deads as said seem to vary from water to water and to a certain extent year to year on some.But pushed to give three (and I would take these to any water I had never fished and had no specific bait info on-

1. Mackeral

2. Sardine/Smelt

3. Roach

And even though not asked for I would list my top lives for pike as -

1.Rainbow Trout

2. Roach

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Not just for pike (I hardly ever target them exclusivly) but if I were limited to just 10 lures for all my fishing, they'd be:

1. Size 3 Mepps Angila in Silver - straight retrive.

2. 4" Swimshad (any brand) - straight retrive.

3. 6" Storm suspending swimshad - either twitched or an ultra slow straight retrive.

4. 6" Bomber Long A Saltwater - Various retrieves

5. 4 1/2" Bomber Long A Saltwater - Various retrieves

6. Heddon Moss Boss - twitched on the surface or allowed to sink and twiched from side to side with longer pulls.

7. 6" Cordel Pencil Popper - either walked very slowly or ripped back furiously

Heddon baby torpedo - straight retrieve.

8. 7" Storm deep diving minow - trolled

9. Gighead/Grub combination - either fished sink 'n draw or crawled along the bottom.

10. 5/8oz spinnerbait - Gold/white/chartruse combination - straight (is) retrieve.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Dawgs

ace dolphins

Big S

deleande super sandra

rublex ondex

Ace sweetshad

rapala taildancer

suick thriller

squirelly burts or various clones(fox ones to be presice)

fox gremlin

all in no particular order

baits

sardine mackerel lamprey roach herring

Edited by noodle996

Deads:

Mackerel

Spratt

Sardine

Roach

Never caught on roach but understand how it can be better than a sea dead on certain waters, although a spratt would probably do the job and I can buy them from the market dead cheap!

Lures

My lure experience and collection is currently growing but so far:

Any decent spinner bait with a nice flash to it and a bit of red.

A perchy shad.

A Plug that's only about 2 inches long that dives down nicely and resembles perch.

A small thing minnow plug.

A jointed rapala.

Dawg.

A few spoons wih red tags.

I think that would cover it.

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear