northlands reedrunner

salmo imitation jack pack suspending

manns jellyhoo

abu toby

baits

1 mack

2 roach

3 herring

If I had to use only 1 lure ever again then rublex ondex, and bait would be mackerel.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a couple of points to add to my earlier post.

With spoons in particular, and also some other sinking baits, I get a lot of takes on the drop. It's therefore vital to engage the reel and allow the lure to sink on a tight line. If you don't I guarantee you'll miss a lot of takes - that is if you notice them in the first place!

Secondly, I'dd add that at Wingham the only deadbaits I permit are sea ones, hence my choice. Coarse deadbaits sometimes outfish sea deads, so on waters where both are allowed I'd start with at least one of each and play it by ear.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

If was only allowed one lure and one bait, for the rest of days, I'd have to go for the floating Salmo Slider (Shiner) and Brown Trout deads.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I have now bought a selection of lures and spinners, I'll post some pics when I sort them out, but amongst the ones I chose were; Storm wild eye shad @ 43grammes each, pack of 4. they are 5" long. 2 red holographic double shads in red and silver, I think they are made by Cannelle and are perch imitations. A Rapala Xtreme XR10. A selection of soft baits that look like worms with curly tails in orange green and yellow and white. A shakespear super S and a small selection of spinners. Dead bait wise I've gone for whole joey mackeral, lamprey, small roach, brown trout and smelt.

Also I have invested in a fox predator drift system and bottom bouncer plus assorted bits and pieces to make safe rigs and now 32lb fox braided main line.

i'm sure something here should work I just need to sort my presentation and I should be away. I also got the new fox modern piking guide and dvd box set so I should be well set up until misses finds out what I've spent. Just pike rods required now but my carp rods will have to do for now.

Thanks to everyone for your help and input, I know I've still got a lot to learn but at least a step in the right direction thanks to all who gave their advice.

A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work

There's nothing wrong with carp rods for pike. As long as they cope with the payload, they'll probably be fine. I've got...

2 X 2.25lb Daiwa Vulcan Xs

1 X 3lb Fox Warrior

1 X 4lb Wychwood Spod.....all of which are carp rods and I've never targetted carp. The only pike rod I have, is the 3.5 lb Wychwood Rogue Pike. Using carp rods hasn't done me any harm.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

After the weather this morning I didn't manage to get to Rudyard, instead I went more local. I didn't get anything but my Dad missed a take which we think hit the weed he was dragging behind his lure. My question is, which lures are weedless and can I use them to fish at depth or do they just skip across the surface? Also I tried drift fishing a deadbait but was always in weed. How best to floatfish deadbait in weed or should I forget it and ledger it instead, possibly popped up with foam balls or something similar?

I wouldnt bother with the weedless lures as they are pretty much pikeless too.

What type of weed is it and to what depth does it rise? Floating crankbaits would be your best option as you can stop the retrieve and let them rise in a stop start motion that will cover the surface of the weed quite well with a little practice.

Top tip if you go to rudyard in winter wear lots of very warm clothes as that is one of the coldest most miserable places Ive ever fished.

I wouldnt bother with the weedless lures as they are pretty much pikeless too.

What type of weed is it and to what depth does it rise? Floating crankbaits would be your best option as you can stop the retrieve and let them rise in a stop start motion that will cover the surface of the weed quite well with a little practice.

Top tip if you go to rudyard in winter wear lots of very warm clothes as that is one of the coldest most miserable places Ive ever fished.

I got a chartreuse power pop frog today and I'll try that. The weed looks like duck weed and is actually on the surface in most places. There are holes and chanels in it but all face down the lake not across it so you still have to cross it. i did try a floating lure but the weed is almost constant it stop the action working properly.

Duckweed? that only goes down about 1cm is there any subsurface weed.

If the floating stuff is causing you problems go back after a big blow on the water it should push the stuff away but a stiff rod and braid should help combat that stuff.

Duckweed? that only goes down about 1cm is there any subsurface weed.

If the floating stuff is causing you problems go back after a big blow on the water it should push the stuff away but a stiff rod and braid should help combat that stuff.

Then it's not duck weed, it is growing from the bottom all the way to the surface. It's only soft and easy to break out of but clogs up the lure and stops the action working properly.

I'll break out the winter woollies