i'm right into lures at the mo,

top catchers for me are

hawg wobbler-surface lure

shad rap-floating and it has to be in firetiger

manns 6inch shad

spinnerbaits (small sizes)

jointed-runt

abu tormentor-floating 6inch

deads wise,when winter comes portugese sardines are hard to beat, that or fresh large smelts.

Edited by Russell Fitzpatrick

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

If was only allowed one lure and one bait, for the rest of days, I'd have to go for the floating Salmo Slider (Shiner) and Brown Trout deads.

I managed to get there yesterday and what a day we had. I think I caught 10 or 11 in total and my Dad managed 6. Most were jack pike but my Dad lost an excellent fish at the net of around 15lb. I had 3 around 6 or 7 and lost 1 at the net of around 10lb on dead baited joey mackeral. I tried all sorts of lures but the only 1 I caught on was what looks like an Abu lure. Can't remember where I got it and My Dad only caught on 1 similar to mine but his was mainly silver with a red stripe.

post-12315-1182595683_thumb.jpg

post-12315-1182595710_thumb.jpg

A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work

Good stuff. I don't know if that is an Abu lure but it's off the Atom ilk, except it doesn't have the folds along it. As long as it works, that's the main thing.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

My biggest worry at the moment is actually holding the pike correctly, I've watched a few videos and asked people I know who pike fish but I am having trouble holding the pike so it opens it's mouth. I did find though that the bigger pike were quite easy. Also is there a special landing net as the one I use though very fine and soft is a nightmare with trebbles getting caught up and I spent quite a while trying to get them out of the netting after landing fish, my biggest priority was actually getting the pike back in the water and then spending 10 minutes getting the hooks out of the net. I squashed the barbs down with pliers before fishing and this may have nade things worse due to a narrow gap between shank and barb. I think I will stick them in a vice and file the barbs off. Are there any good books or videos showing how to hold pike? I am thinking of trying live bait but want to know if there is a way of doing this little or no harm coming to bait fish so I could let them go at the end of the day?

big barbless singles use a section of elastic to keepl the bait on the only way to get used to landing and andling pike is to do it sorry I very rarely use a net I never have at one point two club bailifs tried to have me expelled for this but thankfully many of the commitee had witnesed me handling them in the water and my membership was safe its not as difficult as you may think hand landing fish start with the ones you catch on singles and try adding a flash of bright colour ajust above the hook so you can see where it is either use coloured shrink tube or electrical tape.

This might help...

Click HERE for unhooking instructions

By the way, it might be easier if you simply demolish any hooks stuck in your landing net, with a pair of snips. At 20p a hook or something, it's better to destroy them than your net.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

This might help...

Click HERE for unhooking instructions

By the way, it might be easier if you simply demolish any hooks stuck in your landing net, with a pair of snips. At 20p a hook or something, it's better to destroy them than your net.

You'll have to try fishing with my Dad, we look like one flew over the cuckoos nest :-)

I don't mind cutting the hooks off, just thought there would be a single stranded net out there. I am more worried about the pikes welfare, though having said that got my fingers well and truly speared last time out when fish decided to have a fit in the boat while I was trying to get the hook out, it came out and went right through my fingers. OUCH was not the word I used.

Oh by the way, I ordered some lures from tackle bargains but couldn't remember if I had used this sites link, so put the web address in how I found them, hope this still works the same so you get the support this site deserves. Thanks to everyone for the help and support. I've started to get to grips with pike fishing and am loving it.

big barbless singles

Please dont be tempted to try BIG singles as they can be deadly to pike.

If you wish to use live baits then you really need to get your head around the whole issue.No matter what hooks/hooking arrangemrnt you use the bait fish will be in a pretty sorry state after a take believe you me! as for returning un taken baits at the end of a session once youve got it right you wont have such a thing!

Live baiting is a highly sucsessfull method but dont get drawn in to trying to do it "without cruelty" (I use the term allthough I dont believe it is actualluy cruel as it is the only term I can think off) Accept what you are doing and either live with it or simply dont do it! Its still at the present time a personel choice but looking at "kind" ways to do it both can lead to dire consequences for the bait,the prey and the whole practice in the long run.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!