10 Best Lures

Dave-C

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please dont be tempted to try BIG singles as they can be deadly to pike.

why id love to know the reasoning behid this, in almost 20years of pike fishing Ive yet to see anyone struggle with singles either hooking or unhooking pike I wish that was the case with trebles

Take a look at this save me repeating it mate and please give me your veiws.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...hl=treble+hooks

No problem with any of that the only thing I would agree with is that leaving runs longer on singles due the risk of deep hooking but surely this is just as valid with trebles of which. I wasnt advocating the use of singles for that method purely for live bait where it works lip hooked or through the dorsal.

On that note I dont want to get into this again as been there seen it done it and found no problems with hair rigged baits in limited circumstances.

I think the whole point of saying that you shouldnt use them is misguided as they offer lots of anglers an easier route to handle pike which must be good for the fish.

May I take this oppertunity to point out that in recent Pike and Predators this issue has been quite prominent through the writing of John Neafcy and Mick Brown It isnt the hoks that are dangerous its peoples attitudes.

Also is there a special landing net as the one I use though very fine and soft is a nightmare with trebbles getting caught up and I spent quite a while trying to get them out of the netting after landing fish, my biggest priority was actually getting the pike back in the water and then spending 10 minutes getting the hooks out of the net. ?

In the days when I was manufacturing tackle I got hold of every mesh I could find and tested them for pike fishing. The best of these I marketed as "Titeweave". These were made from wide mesh netting to minimise tangles. Even more importantly they had a very tight weave so that it was more or less impossible for the hooks to get caught in the mesh itself.

I'm now long since retired but these meshes are available from Forum member, Dave Lumb, at http://www.dlst.co.uk/nets.htm.

I'm not one of those who advocate going pike fishing without a net. Sure small ones can be easily hand-landed. However big pike can need too long a time playing to be certain of hand-landing them safely. In summer especially this can be detrimental to their welfare.

Additionally in some swims with a high bank you may need a net to land a fish anyway.

I had a macho friend who boasted he could hand-land any pike he hooked. He then hooked and lost a monster perch that had the hook lodged in the wafer-thin membrane behind its lips. He tried to play it out completely but the perch's headshaking threw the hooks before he could do so.

He now takes a net!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Yup you should always have a net I will not deny that its just how often do I use it thing last time was somewhere around 96 or so i have a folding 42" salmon net which is carried now but rarely used (have to carry one nowdays by law) mostly used to land oddities that take lures carp tench etc

Its the size of the single thats the issue Noodle no matter how you use a large single you cant overcome the issue of the depth of penetration.Ive discussed this a bit with Mick and he's now no longer so keen on the 6/0 singles he initially sugested for his "Kebab" rigs.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Its the size of the single thats the issue Noodle no matter how you use a large single you cant overcome the issue of the depth of penetration.Ive discussed this a bit with Mick and he's now no longer so keen on the 6/0 singles he initially sugested for his "Kebab" rigs.

I've just read about the hooks and have to say it worries me as a new comer to pike, not fishing this also makes me a newcomer to trebbles. I have been using size 6 semi barbed and all my lures I have squashed the barbs. The worrying thing is that if single hooks are so dangerous then why are they fitted in shads. The shads I bought from 'storm' the single hook is huge. Is it different for a lure because it's moving making it less likely to cause deep hooking? I would have thought that the pikes aggresive nature still made deep hooking when spinning, trawling a real possibility.

A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work

I dunno Budgie. I match hook size to lure size when rigging soft plastics up to 5/0 or 6/0 fo the larger lures (for largemouth bass which are generally smaller than pike) and can't remember deep hooking a fish in some years. That includes the crays which bass tend to consume with a real attitude and often with savage takes.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I've just read about the hooks and have to say it worries me as a new comer to pike, not fishing this also makes me a newcomer to trebbles. I have been using size 6 semi barbed and all my lures I have squashed the barbs. The worrying thing is that if single hooks are so dangerous then why are they fitted in shads. The shads I bought from 'storm' the single hook is huge. Is it different for a lure because it's moving making it less likely to cause deep hooking? I would have thought that the pikes aggresive nature still made deep hooking when spinning, trawling a real possibility.

Understand your point with the single but there is less chance of deep hooking when using lures than using deadbaits.

You could try using single trebles on your baits with bait bands instead of the standard Jardine setup....I've never used two trebles in the time I have been pike fishing and haven't had a problem with removing hooks yet.

Just a thought