10 Best Lures

Dave-C

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All though my reply was initially aimed at the use of large singles to livebait I also believe they can cause a lot of damage when used on lures as well.In fact it was through the use of them on spinnerbaits that I first started to think about/notice the problem.

It is all to easy to let the issuie of deep hooking become the overiding concern with pike and the selection of pike hooks etc. Yes inexperienced/unprepared/un knowledgeable anglers do cause damage and death by deep hooking but my experiences have shown me that just as many pike are killed by experienced/prepared/knowledgable anglers using over large singles.

Sorry to have inadvertantly hijacked the "10 best lures" thread! Maybe if others want to discuss this we could re open the origonal "Case for treblers/against over large singles" one? Its an issue that after nearly two decades Im most certain of.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I understood your point and I take on board what you are saying. I was given some advice the other day at a local tackle dealer, regarding a take I missed on deadbait. I was using size 6 semi barbless hooks on a whole joey mackeral around 9" in length. My drift float fully submerged then almost immediatley came back to the surface and then down it went again. I struck almost immediatly the float went the second time. My baitfish just broke in half and was completely mashed. I didn't miss the strike but the pike got off after a second or so. I was told to count to 10 to give the pike time to get a proper grip on the bait. I had 1 treble positioned at the tail and one at the dorsal leaving around 4 or 5" from dorsal to head hook free. Is this a common thing or would I be better cutting the head off the baitfish...10 seconds seems like a long time and obviously I was getting excited at the prospect of a better fish so I struck as soon as I noticed the take. Is there a rule of thumb or is 10 seconds an acceptable time to wait?

If I was bit bahing on maggot I would always strike straight away, so why the wait?

A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work

The answer could be the bait and/or the size of the fish

I use mackerel lots on reservoirs as it casts so well (unlike sardines) but the only problem with it is that it's so tough that the hooks often don't pull through the bait on the strike into the pike s mouth so you end up 'bouncing' the bait free from it's jaws hooks and all.

It could also be the size of the fish and their feeding habits....often smaller fish taking bigger baits or wary fish will be holding the bait rather than taking it fully so a strike pulls it from it's mouth.

Sizing the bait down may help

Will consider the point about the singles and the depth they penetrate. However. I still maintain that for someone gettining into pike fishing the lip hook big single instant hit is the most appropriate method as it allows you easy unhooking.

In all honesty I dont think this has hijacked the topic as such just broadened it if you think about it the amount and size difference between the lures quoted would have led to questions being raised abiut relevant hook sizes.

Im not convinced about the need for the hook size that the esteemed mr Brown was suggesting although I havnt tried them so that is a hut feeling rather than through experience I have rarely needed to go above a 1/0 aberdeen style for live bait which is considerably smaller than many i use on lures (trebles)

Indeed some lures come with ridiculous size trebles on which probably cause a lot of damage.

I'm still going to stick with the single treble that I started with as it's never really let me down or caused any problems...as they say, it it aint broke etc.

Indeed some lures come with ridiculous size trebles on which probably cause a lot of damage.

I'm still going to stick with the single treble that I started with as it's never really let me down or caused any problems...as they say, it it aint broke etc.

The trebles are that size for a reason and they can cause damage you really need cutters rather than trying to unhook fish with them I think this causes most of the damage with these things although not all small fish dont fair well at times

I don't really buy the idea that baits help prise hooks free. I use size 4s for bait fishing and I'm fairly certain that if the hooks are set home properly and you maintain a tight line, there's virtually no chance of the fish escaping. I would also rather have my bait back if at all possible, especially with hard to come by or expensive baits like brown trout or lamprey.

Now and again, I tie some mono round the tail-root of the bait and tie it off on the trace swivel. If the bait comes free, then there is no obstruction on the hooks and I get my bait back.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I don't really buy the idea that baits help prise hooks free. I use size 4s for bait fishing and I'm fairly certain that if the hooks are set home properly and you maintain a tight line, there's virtually no chance of the fish escaping. I would also rather have my bait back if at all possible, especially with hard to come by or expensive baits like brown trout or lamprey.

Now and again, I tie some mono round the tail-root of the bait and tie it off on the trace swivel. If the bait comes free, then there is no obstruction on the hooks and I get my bait back.

You obvously haven't come across the fussy eating pike that I have then lol

I do get my bait back quite often as I use bait bands round the tail and if popping up thread the link through the fish....have caught quite a few pike on the same, gnarled bit of mackerel before !