Strength of knots

The Flying Tench

Although I now use, what I assume, is a Grinner, I have to say that I've never had my line part at ANY knot, except when I've pulled for a break. I'm of the opinion that if a knot parts with a fish, it was a poorly tied knot, no matter what it was.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'd hoped someone of scientific bent would say they will do some tests to prove/disprove mine, try extra knots etc. Doesn't sound like it, so you'll have to wait with bated breaths till I am able to do some more.

I'm afraid my method is rather basic. I tie the line (or stronger line with a swivel attached) round a post, and then pull with steadily increasing pressure with an old spring balance (old, because I'm not sure how good the jerk when it breaks will be for a new one). i just note what tension there is when it breaks. My biggest fault, I can see, is that I hadn't wet the line, so I'll have to repeat the tests with wet line, and also include the palomar.

Budgie, yes, the 'grinner' knot I have tried is the 'uni'. On all the sites I have found they are the same. There is just one magazine article I have where at the end of tying a grinner you tuck the line through somewhere, but the picture is so small I can't see where!

john clarke

Well, I'd hoped someone of scientific bent would say they will do some tests to prove/disprove mine, try extra knots etc. Doesn't sound like it, so you'll have to wait with bated breaths till I am able to do some more.

I'm afraid my method is rather basic. I tie the line (or stronger line with a swivel attached) round a post, and then pull with steadily increasing pressure with an old spring balance (old, because I'm not sure how good the jerk when it breaks will be for a new one). i just note what tension there is when it breaks. My biggest fault, I can see, is that I hadn't wet the line, so I'll have to repeat the tests with wet line, and also include the palomar.

Budgie, yes, the 'grinner' knot I have tried is the 'uni'. On all the sites I have found they are the same. There is just one magazine article I have where at the end of tying a grinner you tuck the line through somewhere, but the picture is so small I can't see where!

I'll see if I can do some tests in a few weeks, workshop looks like a skip at the moment - twas positively tidy when Colin called round - but now looks like a bombed out Tehran market place!

Is it mainly mono we're interested in at the moment?, if so what BS? - I've got a bulk spool of fairly fresh 8lb suffix that's been kept in the dark, should be OK for comparing different knots.

I would prefer to stick to one type of line at a time - can do braids, fluoro's etc another time maybe..........

What knots? Uni, Grinner, Blood & all the variations, plus knotless knot and turle knot. Any others?

I can probably only test 'em dry (but well lubricated!), I'll need to do at least 4 tests for each Knot & variation so it'll take too long to soak every hook length.

I'll also do a few tests on the line itself, without any knots, to establish some sort of bench mark.

Cheers

Barry

Barry

I'll see if I can do some tests in a few weeks, workshop looks like a skip at the moment - twas positively tidy when Colin called round - but now looks like a bombed out Tehran market place!

Is it mainly mono we're interested in at the moment?, if so what BS? - I've got a bulk spool of fairly fresh 8lb suffix that's been kept in the dark, should be OK for comparing different knots.

I would prefer to stick to one type of line at a time - can do braids, fluoro's etc another time maybe..........

What knots? Uni, Grinner, Blood & all the variations, plus knotless knot and turle knot. Any others?

I can probably only test 'em dry (but well lubricated!), I'll need to do at least 4 tests for each Knot & variation so it'll take too long to soak every hook length.

I'll also do a few tests on the line itself, without any knots, to establish some sort of bench mark.

Cheers

Barry

I think this would be a very useful exercise and I for one would be very interested in seing the outcomes. Good one Barry. :clap2:

In general I would have no interest in the results of any tests as like I said I dont think they are needed! Would be interested though in one small test when you get the the time though Barry....and that would be a test in of this twice through the eye (instead of the normal once) with the grinner knot lark.

Mind you that said I dont thibk that would really be of any practical use (to me) as all the braided materials I use (where this type of tying is often reccomended) are over 15lb in breaking strain........and I cant put that much pressure on a fish with any of my rods so cant see how it would matter?! see what Im getting at?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Ok Budge - I can do that, I know that twice through the eye definitely improves the half blood knot, but only if the tag end is passed between the hook eye and both thicknesses of mono.

Never noticed a difference with the grinner..............

Barry

I agree, I think it is down to the quality of the knot. I use the grinner and have never had a knot failure. Remember tenchy says he has used the half blood for years, so I would suggest his half blood is better than his grinner???

a fish,a fish, my kingdom for a fish

You have to bear in mind also that even if 6lb line has a weak point of 3.5lb at the knot, as long as your tackle is balanced it probably won't matter at all. Also, the difference between the two blood knot and grinner knot strengths shows that it's not the knot per se, but that knot! E.g. a carefully tied blood knot will be stronger than a badly tied grinner.

Anderoo is right. In order to have something like a fair comparison you would need a range of knots, tied by numerous people, controlled with different breaking strains and then tested using the same procedure for each. Not that this would give anything like a scientific result but it would be a little more reliable than three knots tied by one person.

I always used the half blood with the tuck, but changed to the grinner after discussions on here. I will try the palomar as well but I have had no breaks with any thus far.

"Life is much too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."