catching the impossible

musicmick1973

Clocked the trailers on YouTube a few says ago, amazing footage but then i would expect nothing else less from Hugh Miles.

As for Martin Bowler well there is no doubting his talent as an exceptional angler so if he lacks the smooth presentational style of a "pro" then i can live with that.Unfortunately a certain Mr Taylor makes a guest apperance, now he really irritates me and has done for years but that minor blip apart i will be purchasing my copies ASAP

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks nice but as has already been pointed out, the cost is more than three times what it should be.

Yes, you have to pay for quality but the Lord of the Rings trillogy cost $150m tand three years to film pluss another 18 months of post production and editing and I can go and buy the lot for 18 quid.

I can't help but get the feeling that with piracy so easy these days, the guys would have been better off doing a distribution deal and getting this into the shops for Christmas instread of keeping everything in house.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Looks nice but as has already been pointed out, the cost is more than three times what it should be.

Yes, you have to pay for quality but the Lord of the Rings trillogy cost $150m tand three years to film pluss another 18 months of post production and editing and I can go and buy the lot for 18 quid.

I can't help but get the feeling that with piracy so easy these days, the guys would have been better off doing a distribution deal and getting this into the shops for Christmas instread of keeping everything in house.

Personally, I found the Angling sequences in Lord of the Rings total C**p, the venues weren't a patch on those found by mister Miles, and he didn't have to use computer technology to multiply the fish :rolleyes:

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

You and millions of others, but I don't suppose Catching the Impossible will have similar sales or box office returns. The market for Catching The Impossible is very small, so the ratio of production cost to profit makes it a much better bargain than LOTR (despite that film's far greater initial cost).

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

You and millions of others, but I don't suppose Catching the Impossible will have similar sales or box office returns. The market for Catching The Impossible is very small, so the ratio of production cost to profit makes it a much better bargain than LOTR (despite that film's far greater initial cost).

Exactly right, Lord of the Rings would have made it's money in the Cinema circuits worldwide over and over again, so when they get to putting it out on DVD thats icing on the cake, production costs are negligible for transferring it onto DVD.

As a Cameraman and film editor I can tell you, copyright for the music alone used in Catching the Impossible would have been about £3000 to £4000, with an additional fee for the quantity of disc's produced, there is copyright free music available for sale but by comparison it's rubbish, it's not cheap making films, there's all sorts of costs that push it up

I have just watched the first two episodes on the disc, and it is absolute first class, not only the quality of the picture, but the quality of the subject and the editing is superb, and the underwater scenes are something else, for pricing, you can only compare it to what else is on the market in that category, I think it is good value for the money

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

No doubt it won't be long till there's a few copies available on Ebay. A lot of people buy things get sick of them and just sell them, so I'm in no rush. I got Passion off ebay for less than a tenner inclusive of post and you wouldn't know it had been used or if it ever had.

No doubt it won't be long till there's a few copies available on Ebay. A lot of people buy things get sick of them and just sell them, so I'm in no rush. I got Passion off ebay for less than a tenner inclusive of post and you wouldn't know it had been used or if it ever had.
They can be downloaded as DIVX or XVid with bittorent already.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

You and millions of others, but I don't suppose Catching the Impossible will have similar sales or box office returns. The market for Catching The Impossible is very small, so the ratio of production cost to profit makes it a much better bargain than LOTR (despite that film's far greater initial cost)

It's about percieved value for money. No doubt they will sell a few hundred copies of their DVD but at that price, it's hardly Christmas pressie for grandad material. Had they got the pricing and distribution right, they might have shifted tens of thousands of units in the runup to christmas alone.

As it is, the tech savey will simply download it, wait for it to show up on TV or simply rent it from someone like LoveFilm, and that's a lot of potential sales gone.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Had they got the pricing and distribution right, they might have shifted tens of thousands of units in the runup to christmas alone.

Well I guess their marketing advisors are stupid in that case. You’d think they’d want the best return for all that hard work and financial investment, but the fools obviously don’t know what on Earth they’re doing! If only you’d been available to tell them how simple it all really is, they’d have made a fortune and grandfathers everywhere would have had good value Christmas presents!

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

You could all learn French. There is a huge selection of fishing videos in in France.

This is just ONE site.

You can rent a DVD for 48 hours, download a version that you can watch as many times as you like or buy the DVD.

This site has 94 videos on Carnassier (preds to you) alone.

http://www.imineo.com/loisirs-passions/peche/video-peche.htm

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote