2015 Rutland zander fish-in

Anderoo

We didn't have a functional fishfinder last year, and it was definitely a disadvantage.

Yes, a big handicap - I have a spare I can lend out this year as I've just bought myself a shiny new down imaging one :)

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yes, a big handicap - I have a spare I can lend out this year as I've just bought myself a shiny new down imaging one :)

Hmm now there's a thought. Last year I looked upon this as a good reason to buy a new rod, lures and a few other gadgets. I've got it all now so I might upgrade the fish finder to a posh one, which one did you go for? I'll be buying another drogue to compliment JV44's, towards the end of the day we struggled to keep the drift slow enough and bites stopped

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I got one of these, which are new this year: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Humminbird-HELIX-5-DI-Down-Image-Sonar-Fishfinder-TM-Transducer-/351444828836?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51d3be82a4

If you buy a new fishfinder make sure it comes with the transducer, many (esp on ebay) seem cheap but don't have the transducer included...

I've been playing with it in simulation mode and really like it - LOADS more information and cool settings than my old basic one! I've wanted a down imaging one for a couple of years but could never justify the price, but these new ones have suddenly made it much more affordable.

Having said that I did use my old one for several years and it served us very well. It was one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUND-1984684-HUMMINBIRD-PIRANHAMAX-160-OEM-160X128-BOAT-FISHFINDER-407230-8-/400950450412?hash=item5d5a8258ec

If you don't want to buy an arm for the transducer (e.g. http://www.thetackle-shop.co.uk/section93/Boat-Fishing/product1268/Transducer-Bracket-With-5.html) you can get a suction cup holder instead - the transducer is attached to the suction cup and then you just stick it to the outside of the boat (http://www.pecheur.com/en/gb/buy-fixing-suction-cup-for-back-fishfinder-humminbird-table-66194.html?af=393329&gclid=CLPvg4fu88YCFQX3wgodVHQDBg)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Norma and I are up for another go at the zander................. and at the curry !

• Like 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The only other thing you'd need is a battery (I use a 12V 7ah yuasa), a battery charger, and a box to put the battery in to keep it dry and to attach the fishfinder to the top of, so it's nice and neat and portable. I use a heavy duty tupperware type box with a sturdy clip-on lid.

E.g.:

IMG_2427_zps5473dcd9.jpg

(Tigger included just for glamour ;) )

Edited by Anderoo

We didn't have a functional fishfinder last year, and it was definitely a disadvantage.

Brought ours along, but the bloody clamp on the transducer was not wide enough to fix on the rather thick gunwale.

Fishing "blind" is not the best option.

Definitely needs a rethink, the bottom line being a new "fishfinder"

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Vagabond, the Neville Fickling bracket I linked to in the above post fits the AW boats fine. Much cheaper than a whole new fishfinder!

I used the suction cup for a couple of years and it was pretty good. However there's no place to stick it at the back of the boat and so you have to stick it along the side, which means when you're motoring around it did sometimes come loose. Not a major problem, but if it happened a lot it got a bit annoying.

The bracket is a better solution, as long as it fits the boat...!