2015 Rutland zander fish-in

Anderoo

I'm calling Alex later (some of you met him at last year's event, and/or from Wingham) and hopefully he'll be able to come along again. The more people who have done it before and who have fishfinders and spare tackle the better!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It was quite windy last year, and those who were there will confirm how hard it is to keep the lure near the bottom in deep water when the wind gets up. There are 3 things you need, 1. heavy enough jig heads, 2. thin enough braid mainline, and 3. a drogue to slow the boat.

1. Places like the Friendly Fisherman sells Fox and Spro jig heads up to 50g, and I would recommend getting a few of 30g (normal conditions), 40g (wind) and 50g (very windy!). Andy at FF is getting a big jig head order in soon if you need to stock up: http://www.thefriendlyfisherman.co.uk/section17832/pike-and-predator-tackle/lures/jig-hooks-and-offset-hooks.html

2. Towards the end of last year I changed my mainline from 10lb PP, which I'd used for years, to 8.5lb Fox Jig Silk (this stuff: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fox-rage-jig-silk-/141619413227?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368). It is much thinner than the PP and hade a big difference. Even in very windy weather I could keep the line vertical and the lure near the bottom. HOWEVER it is pretty fragile stuff and the slightest nick in it will have it part like cotton. If you are very careful with it, it's brilliant but to be honest I wouldn't recommend it unless you're prepared to really be careful with it and check it regularly. Last year I had mine come apart while motoring around in the boat with the rod resting on the edge of the boat! However, PP is rock solid and takes loads of punishment but these days I would recommend 8lb rather than 10lb. Even a tiny difference in diameter can have a dramatic difference when the wind gets up.

3. I have a spare drogue I can lend out. Otherwise this is the one I would recommend: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wychwood-New-Competition-Drogue-Save-A-/121465476439?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c47e81557 (the lodge at Rutland sells them, albeit at a slightly higher price than this).

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Anderoo yes it is a Saturday doh! My mistake so any time in October

Going to get that finder you linked to do you know if spare transducers are available? Want to stick one on the yak and one on a transducer bracket so I can swap head unit between hire boats and the kayak

Just bought some of the fox braid and need to get some more heavy jig heads so a order to Andy is in the pipeline

Can we have a smallest zed cup coz I would have won that last time

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Boat partners

I sugegst the following, please shout if you have any suggested changes :)

Anderoo + Tigger

Kappa + Steve Walker

JV44 + Rusty

Vagabond + Norma

Alex + Matthew Simmons

This will mean every boat has a fishfinder.

Does anyone need/want to borrow rod/reel/lures?

• Like 1

Anderoo yes it is a Saturday doh! My mistake so any time in October

Going to get that finder you linked to do you know if spare transducers are available? Want to stick one on the yak and one on a transducer bracket so I can swap head unit between hire boats and the kayak

Just bought some of the fox braid and need to get some more heavy jig heads so a order to Andy is in the pipeline

Can we have a smallest zed cup coz I would have won that last time

BTW that braid is really soft and slippery! With PP I used to tie it direct to the leader with an albright knot, with the jig silk I have to use a small swivel, and double the braid up before tying a grinner. If using a swivel I would put a little bit of cut down anti tangle sleeve or similar on the upper eye so that if/when you reel it into the tip ring, it doesn't damage it.