2015 Rutland zander fish-in

Anderoo

Errm, would you be OK if it ended up with you having a crash course (not literally ;) ) on using the outboard and you being in a boat by yourself? You can borrow my spare rod as Rob's mate now doesn't need it, a spare drogue, a few lures, and Rusty's fishfinder, and you can follow our drifts anyway. After last time I'd say you were more than prepared for the actual fishing!

Then if Alex does come you'd be in a boat on your own, and if he doesn't you can share with Matthew? At least this way you know now whether to book the time off work, etc.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'll be bringing along my cheapo fish finder as backup for Steve's posh one, if somebody doesn't have one they can use it. Useless for finding fish but perfectly adequate for showing the depth of water, it served us well last year and will be better than nothing. I have some spare lures I can lend out but I'm a bit short on 50g jig heads.

Your old fish-finder sounds a bit like Steve - he's useless at finding fish as well :-)

Errm, would you be OK if it ended up with you having a crash course (not literally ;) ) on using the outboard and you being in a boat by yourself? You can borrow my spare rod as Rob's mate now doesn't need it, a spare drogue, a few lures, and Rusty's fishfinder, and you can follow our drifts anyway. After last time I'd say you were more than prepared for the actual fishing!

Then if Alex does come you'd be in a boat on your own, and if he doesn't you can share with Matthew? At least this way you know now whether to book the time off work, etc.

As long as I don't have JV44 in the boat knocking off all my Zeds at the net, I'm OK with this whichever way it pans out!

Hiya,

A crash course in using/handling the boat would be fine (assuing it is safe and Anglian Water are happy with this). I'm not too worried about the actual fishing, I would just stick to white/silver lures and paddle/twin tail so if I could borrow some that would be great, I would also probably bring one of my own rods as well to try those out, but the use of an a rod I know will work would be useful.

My main worries would be

1 - Following your drifts may get a bit annoying for the people I am following, you spending all the time finding the good spots and I take advantage of it.

2 - Cost, it was £60 for two people in one boat, how much is it for one person in one boat? Still £60?

If all these are ok I would most likely try and follow drifts for the first half of the day and then if I did have access to a fish finder start trying to find some spots by myself, unless we are in an area with lots of fish (good learning chance and more chance to find fish for both boats)

Hi Errm, yes it's perfectly safe and actually there's very little to it. On your other points:

1. This is a day of all fishing together, so don't worry about following successful drifts. If you want to go off and find other fish then of course feel free, but if you want to stick close to my boat then feel free.

2. Cost is about £34 I think for a single man boat, so it costs about the same whether you're alone or with a partner.

If Alex can't make it, Rich has a spare rod to lend out, so Matthew if you want to borrow that please say.

Both Errrm and Matthew, you can borrow whatever lures you like for the day :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Anderoo, I was thinking about buying the following just in case they were needed.

2 x H-Block Markers (I think this is what they are called)

Selection of jig heads and lures

Hopefully I will be able to get them before Friday, if not then they will be fine for next time. Would you be able to recommend where to get them from?

It looks like you were using non-standard weights on the h-block markers, was this for additional weight? What weight were you using to hold bottom?

Cheers

OK great, no need to book another boat as Vagabond and Norma aren't able to make it, so there's a boat spare.

I have a couple of spare H block markers you can borrow.

Jig heads:

30g 3/0 or 4/0: http://www.thefriendlyfisherman.co.uk/section17083/product25534/FOX-RAGE-ROUND-JIG-HEADS.html

40g 4/0: http://www.thefriendlyfisherman.co.uk/section17083/product29017/SPRO-FOOTBALL-JIG-HEADS.html [these are not an ideal shape but about all you can get at short notice]

50g 4/0: http://www.thefriendlyfisherman.co.uk/section17083/product29020/SPRO-ROUND-JIG-HEADS.html

Stinger trebles (size 10 or 12): http://www.thefriendlyfisherman.co.uk/section17062/product23013/OWNER-STINGER-TREBLES-ST36BC-BLACK-CHROME.html [or if you have trebles already, use them - or you can not use a stinger, personal preference]

Loads of lures to choose from; best overall size is 4-5":

http://www.thefriendlyfisherman.co.uk/section17083/pike-and-predator-tackle/lures/soft-plastics.html

http://www.lure-world.com/soft-lures-c-26.html

PS the one you caught most on was a 4.5" lunker city shaker, you can get those at lure world. Good fork tails are fox rage fork tails or lunker city fin-s.

Yep, no problem, quite looking forward to the experience :-).

Is there anything that I would find useful which I'm not able to borrow? It would be nice to slowly get together everything I need for this style of fishing so if there is something which I need which I can't borrow I might as well start off looking at buying that.