2015 Rutland zander fish-in

Anderoo

Hi Matthew, you'll be with Alex so will be free to plunder his lures!

Colour still baffles me, I can't believe it could make much difference in such deep water, and yet it does seem to. Very basic advice seems to follow the old fly fishing maxim of bright day, bright fly.

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm feeling rather pleased with myself as I've found a few more packets of my favourite discontinued lures, now winging their way to me from Germany. When these run out I'll be forced to find new favourites (noooo!).

Lure colour is such a funny thing as I said above. I have fork tail lures that are identical apart from colour and some are very successful while others look great but just don't seem to work. It's relay odd. Why would they care that much...?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Oh btw, I've had 2 days so far using the 3kg PP and so far it's been totally solid. It needs a few more days yet to test it properly but so far so good.

FORK-TAIL.jpg

The hot olive one I thought was going to be great, but I've just never done any good with it. It looks so nice!

I'm positive they're the ones I got from one of your links Andrew. I think I got the salt n pepper, gold glitter and lemon tiger versions. I also liked the look of the hot olives but controlled myself and deleted them from the basket.....sounds like I did the right thing lol.

For some reason I think the silver pearls, real shiners and ghost ones would be good but then again same as you I fancied the hot olive and it hasn't produced....yet.

The reason I picked the ones I did is because of the depths at which we where fishing when I fished with you last year, maybe those colours might be that bit more visible and maybe catch the fishes eye. At the end of the day a jet black one might work best and so i'm probably totally wrong !

Lookin' forward to the day though whatever happens, so long as we don't capsize and drown of course...it was a little "on top" at the end of the day last year :help::boat:

Edited by Tigger

Yes it did get rather blowy at the end of last year's day didn't it...! If the forecast is to be believed, this year should be dry with light winds :)

Fox are now only doing a few of the above colours (salt n pepper, gold glitter, lemon tiger and I think hot olive), all the rest have been discontinued. That's why I've been buying up any remaining packets! I thought I had them all but then found a few remaining packets in Germany :)

I think maybe the colours I haven't done so well on will work in certain conditions, and I just haven't worked them out yet. The bright sparkly ones certainly seem to work best on sunny days, and the dull solid colours best on cloudy days, so I expect there's either a type of day or time of day/year where those colours work.

Perch can be funny with lure colours too. Many times I've had a perch or two from a spot on a lure and then it goes quiet, but a change to the same lure but a different colour then produces another fish or two.

• Like 1