2015 Rutland zander fish-in

Anderoo

Alex took the opportunity to fish a slightly larger lure on a wire trace to see if any pike turned up and also how it affected the zander fishing.

The result - 2 zander all day but both larger than average. As it happened, tigger used a larger lure a bit on the day too and caught the same size zander as with the standard sized lures.

Interesting info on the wire v flouro issue.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I would like to try an entirely transparent and colourless lure as a control.

Good idea, I tried invisible lures on Friday and only caught three zander (one foul hooked) all of which must have just bumped into it.

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Good idea, I tried invisible lures on Friday and only caught three zander (one foul hooked) all of which must have just bumped into it.

Ha!

The question is, how much do they rely on their lateral line system to detect prey - I bet it's really good.

Pretty much all my fish were on a pearl white paddle tail, I fished the first time with white and silver lures because I think they have the most chance of reflecting any light down there. At times on Friday I switched and tried a different lure and the only other things I found to be ok were a silver fork tail (I caught on this a few weeks back) and I had one fish on a green lure but I struggled to see this as it came up in the water on a retrieve so I switched it back to a white lure.

Chris, you still got that box ?

No I've binned it, the box wasn't quite the same without a fishfinder to put in it :D.

I'm also missing my drop shot rod which I think was either transferred to JV44's car or left in Steve W's. I expect to lose a lure or two on these trips but a rod and a fishfinder......?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Tigger, on 11 Oct 2015 - 11:33, said:

I wonder if it would be worth sticking a flurecent glo in the dark maggot onto the front of the lure maybe even a nightlight. I remember Rob using a flurecent maggot on his rig when night fishing for chub and it seemed to work ok...he only caught little 'uns but I don't think he ever catches 'ewt else ;) .

There's an increasing list of fish with very good UV vision, so someone would need to use a camera sensitive to that portion of the spectrum to find out (plus of course zander have the tapetum in the eye which greatly increases low-light vision.

Mike Ladle has been playing around with lures which include an isotope, of course the snap lights are a far cheaper option. There is some legislation in the UK around the use of light as or within a lure, but this might fall outside that.

• Like 1

No I've binned it, the box wasn't quite the same without a fishfinder to put in it :D.

I'm also missing my drop shot rod which I think was either transferred to JV44's car or left in Steve W's. I expect to lose a lure or two on these trips but a rod and a fishfinder......?

I will have a look, I bet it is still in my boot with my gear.