2015 Rutland zander fish-in

Anderoo

There's an increasing list of fish with very good UV vision, so someone would need to use a camera sensitive to that portion of the spectrum to find out (plus of course zander have the tapetum in the eye which greatly increases low-light vision.

Attenuation of UV is pretty strong on the blue side, though, and comparable to visible wavelengths on the red side, so I would have thought that visible light intensity would be a reasonable proxy for near UV levels.

Absorption_spectrum_of_liquid_water.png

That's for pure water, of course - the water column at Rutland will have some other strong absorption peaks.

It would have been interesting to attach a light source to it! I'd love to see footage of the zander on the bottom.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I was thinking the same, though we don't know how they would react - they don't seem to like bright light. I do wonder how much of their disorientation on release is down to barometric trauma and how much is light adaption. Possible that they are temporarily blinded by the light.

Attenuation of UV is pretty strong on the blue side, though, and comparable to visible wavelengths on the red side, so I would have thought that visible light intensity would be a reasonable proxy for near UV levels.

That's for pure water, of course - the water column at Rutland will have some other strong absorption peaks.

Will also vary throughout the year depending on plankton richness and diversity.

Some prey selection stuff here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4224368/

Edited by Latimeria
  • Like 1

Interesting paper. So essentially the defensive strategy of roach is only superior to that of perch when visibility is good enough to see the zander before they get within striking distance.

This one, from the references, looks interesting;

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1095-8649.2007.01412.x/abstract

Can't find the whole paper for free, though.

I'd be interested in how effectively zander can feed using only non-visual senses.

Steve Walker, on 12 Oct 2015 - 19:04, said:

This one, from the references, looks interesting;

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1095-8649.2007.01412.x/abstract

Can't find the whole paper for free, though.

I'd be interested in how effectively zander can feed using only non-visual senses.

That's what I was looking for.

I'll see if I can get that other paper for you (edit - just requested it from the authors).

Edited by Latimeria
  • Like 1

Absorption_spectrum_of_liquid_water.png

Impressive graph....so can they see the fooking lure or not? :bleh:

On a more serious note does this bring into question the benefit of using 'invisible' fluoro as a leader at Rutland depths?

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Once again I had a great time (in spite of being out fished by Mumford who had nine and a Perch), it really is loads of fun!

I ended up with a couple more than last season (five) and a decent fish to boot, should be able to find it at the link below. What weight would you give me for that one?

https://plus.google.com/photos/112245126476773696070/albums/6204848397165366097/6204848403254183554

Thanks again Andrew for organising the day, everyone said how much they enjoyed it, very much appreciated.

Edited by Rob Ward

Impressive graph....so can they see the fooking lure or not? :bleh:

On a more serious note does this bring into question the benefit of using 'invisible' fluoro as a leader at Rutland depths?

See the above post about Alex using wire - fairly conclusive I think! Whether it's because flouro is 'invisible' or not I don't know, but it certainly makes a difference.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music