2015 Rutland zander fish-in

Anderoo

See the above post about Alex using wire - fairly conclusive I think!

Conclusive that wire produces larger than average size zander but fewer of them? I only caught three fish, next time it's wire for me :D

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Alex is very experienced at this and has been doing it a long time, 2 bites all day is a lot less than when he uses flouro. The average size thing is interesting, that may be because of the larger lure? Although tigger used a larger lure for a bit and caught the normal sized ones. But I think it's fair to say that wire means significantly fewer bites than you'd get with flouro, for whatever reason.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm not sure I'm going to get time to do a full report so will do a quickie now and try to get a few pics up soon. As I mentioned before it was a very strange day weather wise for October, flat calm with hot, bright sunshine - very different to last year when we had spells of heavy rain and strong winds! (Although apparently rob has some pretty heavy wind on the drive down ;) ).

We had an idea from previous trips of where to go, so we started in that area. There's a nice big slope that the zander like which is near a big pipe on the bottom, so there's lots of depth variation and structure. Tigger and I had several fish straight away so we marked the pipe in a couple of spots with h blocks so other boats had something to aim for.

We had quite a few around there and I think the other boats did too. As the day went on it got harder and the gaps between bites got longer, but that's to be expected with several boats in one area. With the wind either non existent or very light we were either casting and slowly bringing the lures back sink and draw along the bottom or fishing vertically under the boat. I had a few fish on fork tails just twitched occasionally but most came to jigged paddle tails.

The zander were feeding reasonably well, quite a few hit the lure pretty hard and had the whole thing in their mouths, with a few just nipping at it and hooked on the stinger. The average size wasn't bad either, lots of small ones as usual but a decent number of what I think of as 'good handfuls' - the 3-5lb fish.

We finished up in a different area and had a few fish there too to end the day.

We didn't keep count but I reckon tigger and I had about 50 between us, a good result given the awkwardness of not being able to drift properly. Another really good fun day :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

No I've binned it, the box wasn't quite the same without a fishfinder to put in it :D.

I'm also missing my drop shot rod which I think was either transferred to JV44's car or left in Steve W's. I expect to lose a lure or two on these trips but a rod and a fishfinder......?

Could have been worse Rusty - you could have watched your favourite spro rod and shimano reel sink to the depths before your eyes the day before the fish-in like me!

I'm not sure I'm going to get time to do a full report so will do a quickie now and try to get a few pics up soon. As I mentioned before it was a very strange day weather wise for October, flat calm with hot, bright sunshine - very different to last year when we had spells of heavy rain and strong winds! (Although apparently rob has some pretty heavy wind on the drive down ;) ).

We had an idea from previous trips of where to go, so we started in that area. There's a nice big slope that the zander like which is near a big pipe on the bottom, so there's lots of depth variation and structure. Tigger and I had several fish straight away so we marked the pipe in a couple of spots with h blocks so other boats had something to aim for.

We had quite a few around there and I think the other boats did too. As the day went on it got harder and the gaps between bites got longer, but that's to be expected with several boats in one area. With the wind either non existent or very light we were either casting and slowly bringing the lures back sink and draw along the bottom or fishing vertically under the boat. I had a few fish on fork tails just twitched occasionally but most came to jigged paddle tails.

The zander were feeding reasonably well, quite a few hit the lure pretty hard and had the whole thing in their mouths, with a few just nipping at it and hooked on the stinger. The average size wasn't bad either, lots of small ones as usual but a decent number of what I think of as 'good handfuls' - the 3-5lb fish.

We finished up in a different area and had a few fish there too to end the day.

We didn't keep count but I reckon tigger and I had about 50 between us, a good result given the awkwardness of not being able to drift properly. Another really good fun day :)

Yes, there was a rather large wind bag in the passenger seat of my car.