Windows Defender

I agree. If you keep buggering about under the hood, hacking at this, disabling that don't be surprised when your PC starts to play up.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Erm, isn't having a pukka copy of windows (validated by the Windows Genuine Advantage component you disabled) a requirement for receiving updates? As I understand it, the deal is no WGA, no updates.

Erm, isn't having a pukka copy of windows (validated by the Windows Genuine Advantage component you disabled) a requirement for receiving updates? As I understand it, the deal is no WGA, no updates.

That makes it even worse if it's compulsory, because it's just spyware under a different name. The WGA removal tool was supposed to be merely to stop Windows "phoning home", so if it prevents updates it makes it quite sinister.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

That makes it even worse if it's compulsory, because it's just spyware under a different name. The WGA removal tool was supposed to be merely to stop Windows "phoning home", so if it prevents updates it makes it quite sinister.
Well if I was Bill it would only be folks with genuine copies that would be getting updates. I have three PCs all running XP and I have a quarter of the problems that some folks have, but I don't mess around with WGA or the Automatic Update services.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Well if I was Bill it would only be folks with genuine copies that would be getting updates. I have three PCs all running XP and I have a quarter of the problems that some folks have, but I don't mess around with WGA or the Automatic Update services.

My copy is perfectly genuine, in fact it entitles me to a free upgrade to Vista. I just prefer to be in control of my computer: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/07/wga_disadvantage/

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Ah, but The Register is to Microsoft as the Vatican is to Durex. The article briefly mentions what appears to be a speculative class action aimed at nailing Microsoft on a technicality rather than on any actual harm done, and then goes off on one about how piracy makes ripping Microsoft off sound worse than it is and how evil old Bill has sneaked in a mechanism to protect himself under the guise of a benefit for the end user. If you follow the link to the details of the case, it would appear that nobody is alleging that any real harm has been done, rather the allegation is that by installing a program which phoned home without adequately informing the user Microsoft have broken local regulations. Microsoft say that only beta versions phoned home, and that current versions don't (the article is over a year old).

Bottom line, though, is that Microsoft require you to prove via WGA that you have a genuine copy of Windows before they will let you download free updates. (Actually, you can still download critical security patches without it). That's just the way the deal is. I'm no apologist for Microsoft, but it seems to me that if you want to run their software you have to play by their rules. Much the same with Apple. The alternative, if you don't like being subject to the terms and conditions of the big software houses, is to install some flavour of Linux and configure it exactly as you want it. If you stray from a standard vanilla installation, you'll likely as not hit the same issues you're having with Windows, and if any of your hardware is vaguely unusual you'll probably end up wanting to kill me for suggesting it, but at least there's a fair chance someone else has worked around it.

If you do like delving into the works, this provides several useful tips for anybody who is having startup and shut down problems:

http://www.pcw.co.uk/articles/print/2165594