Opening days results.

Guest tigger

Guest tigger

Unfotunatly I couldn't get out today but it would be good to hear off other AN'ers and their results if they were lucky enough to wet a line. :thumbs:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfotunatly I couldn't get out today but it would be good to hear off other AN'ers and their results if they were lucky enough to wet a line. :thumbs:

Tigger you read my mind, i was 2 minutes away from starting a similar post myself! :rolleyes:

My first session of the season was a bit of a disaster really. Id set out with the intention of catching a tench (but would have been happy with a nice bream really!)

Ive been planning it for a couple of weeks and spent ages yesterday discussing tactics in the taclke shop. This coupled with the advice you guys at anglers net had given me was sure to get me a result right??

Nope. I arrived at my swim at 4 this morning (was lucky enough to get the one i wanted, most of them were already taken) and the rain was torrential. I baited the pre-plumbed area with 2 orange sized balls of groundbait, containing loooads of hemp, casters, chopped worm, and a bit of corn.

I then waited for an hour in the rain, setting up my rod what i thought was perfectly, about 4 inches overdepth.After my first cast i waited 45 minutes for a bite which i missed, and a second 10 minutes later which i didnt miss, turned out to be a 6oz skimmer!!

I had 5 more skimmers after bites completely stopped and id switched to red maggot, along with 6 small roach.

Bit dissapointed but nevermind, thats fishing! Id love to know where i went wrong though. Or maybe it just wasnt my day :schmoll:

Anyone caught any nice tench today? id be interested to know how!

Guest Rabbit

Fished the Lower Severn this morning, river had rose a foot in the night and was still rising when I left 7 hours later. I was hoping for a first day barbel, but the Lower is hard at the best of times, and today was no exception. Had a couple of 'knocks' on pellet but that was all, apart from a couple of eels on worm that saved me blanking :clap2:

The nearby Warwickshire Avon is flooded in places, so much for the 'Glorious 16th', but it was great to get on the river again.

Just the one, 4lb 2oz. Felt rough from a flu that came on Friday, water was high and the weather very unsettled with quite strong wind which blew the kayak into a mooring while I was bringing the jack in.

2.jpg

Damned good fun all the same, and a nice, scrappy fish. I'm happy with whatever I catch; a fish is a fish.

Saw plenty of small fish coming in by other anglers on the water though, so the day wasn't a total loss for the locals.

Edited by Mark Crame

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

took the new boat (sea nymph) out for its first fishing session

decided to walk the 4-5 miles to get to the marina,i could have had a lift later in the morning,but wanted to get on out.

The river was looking alright,not a lot of flow,with a bit of colour.

i passed quite a few anglers on the banks on my way to the marina, and enroute to the first of many weirpools on the river that i intended to fish that day.

Put on a lure that was retrieved from a tree earlier in the year, similar size to a shakespear big s (shakespear thunder crank? something like that anyway).second cast and hooked into a pike didn't feel very heavy,and came towards me against the current quite easily,which was when i got my first glimpse.

It looked, by the brief look i got to be bigger than i thought,and guessed 12lbs(then started thinking,maybe 14 if im lucky!).

it might have came in easily enough,but when she saw the side of the boat,she made a couple of runs,which left me wobbling like a jelly,i know these weir pool pike fight, but flippin eck this thing was giving me a right run around!!!).

Managed to get the net under her,dropped the rod grabbed the landing net which promptly snapped leaving me clutching the wrong half! with the reactions of a fighter pilot i grabbed the net and drew it to the side of the boat and had a peak in.....looking bigger all the time now,16lb maybe?(not that i'm any good at guessing weights,just like to give it a go).

got myself together while the pike recovered in the net at the side of the boat,only to be reduced to a wreck when i lifted the net fully into the boat......it looked huge......i nearly wet myself...sorry but it was close!

the lure had fallen out!!! and so i quickly put it into the sling and weighed her.

The avons said 11lb8oz???

That cant be right ,that looks much bigger than that.........Its on the green dial numb nuts!!! crikey or something similar,i think i shouted!!!!

21lb 8oz

dscn2282.jpg

Chuffed aint the word,couldnt carry on fishing i just couldnt concentrate,so i've been doing the wifes head right in going on and on about it!!!

I set out at 11pm last night for a 1am start below the weir in beeston nottingham hoping for a barbel and maybe a chub, to find every fishable peg taken for about a 30 min walk.

After finding a far from ideal peg I baited up with groundbait, hemp, pellets and meat and began to set up my rods. I was planning to have one setup with two pellets on a hair and one with luncheon meat on the hook

I then looked into my tackle box to realise I had forget my baiting needle :wallbash:

I managed to haphazardly thread some meat and pellets onto the hooks but it was far from ideal

I had one bite around 2.30am which I missed but that was it. A huge dissappoointment but only myself to blame for being underprepared. what an idiot. cant wait to get back down there and have another go.

Got a bonus today didn't think I would be going, as it is my daughters birthday, so don't normally go out, it was nice and dry when I got my stuff together, but as soon as I got to the river, I was hit by hailstones and a thunder storm, so just stayed under the brolly, in the end got a bit wet, but got 4hrs

fishing and came out with one modest chub of 1lb 7oz. the river was chucking it through and ripping the weed up.

Guest tigger

I managed to get out just after 6pm called at the local co op and got a tin of Spam. It was just a last muinuite thing no feed just the Spam, anyway I was chuffed when on my first cast I got a chub of 6-7 lb couldn't weigh it as I forgot my scales.

I put on another chunk of meat and just tossed it out a rod lenght then sat on the grass and phoned up the wife to tell her how lucky I had been on my first cast, as I was telling her my rod bent straight over and I hooked into my first ever Barbel (apart from a 6 or 7 inch one years ago) .

There where a couple of blokes 100 ft down the bank and one brought his landing net over as mine was to small, he took a picture for me and we agreed it was between 8-10 lb. I had another chuck and got snagged and I had to pull the line till it snapped . I set up again had two more chucks losing a ledger on the last then it started spitting with rain and looked like it was gonna hammer it down so I packed up and came home"buzzing".

What can I say, this morning I was p*ssed off thinking I wasn't gonna get out and then came that turn of events.

I'm hopefully going again tomorrow and plan on staying till the early hours.