cheap/home made rod leash

jonnyboy

Those of you who read my other post will know why i want these

Who uses what, and are there any home made solutions?

I use 3mm paracord with a stainless carabiner attached to one end to clip to the yak. cheap and effective i use it to leash other items such as VHF and mobile to my PFD and with a breaking strain of approx 250kg you don't have to worry about it snapping easily.

Yellow bungee cord with an overhand loop at one end to fit over the reel handle and tied off to one of the pad eyes on the rear tankwell. The distance is fine for both reels or for the bungee button on the side by the seat to stow it when not in use. Works very well, I ahve on both rear holders and attached on both forward holders. It is also colour co-ordinated.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

rodleash.jpg

jetski cut out -£4.99-local chandler

velcro straps-about £1-halfords

caribiner-£1-lidl

£6.99-job done :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

i also use para cord £5 for 25m with stainless caribener,s and large snap links,you can make them any length and are relatively cheap.

I use the following:

Buy some stainless steel dog lead clips from most major pet shops - (90p to £1 each.)

Cut a 500mm piece of 15 to 20mm webbing, sew this onto gdog lead clip or get wife to do it for you!

Then make a loop in other end of webbing about 30mm open and have wife stitch this up. (50p)

Lastly cut a 200mm piece of 5mm elasticated bungee cord and knot into a loop. (30p)

Pass through and form a loop to loop with the webbing loop.

Clip this to you seat straps, decking loops or rod holders and attach the elastic loops around your reel and handle.

Proper job.

All for £1.80 each.

:D

I used to use home made 3mm bungee and velcro on one end and a shackle on the other, but I still found the bungee got tangled up with paddle leash and was generally a bit of a pain. I use the jetski leashes now and they are much better, but still a bit restricting at times, especially if you need to untangle something at the rod tip.

I was thinking one of those retractable dog leashes might be a better solution and I'll be checking that out when a jetski leash finally breaks. Whether the mechanism would stand up to salt water for very long, remains to be seen. But I've seen them for under a tenner on ebay, so would be worth a try.

Edited by paintfly