TV or aerial problem?

My TV works fine for channels 1-9, but most of the channels 10 and above have horizontal lines and a few say 'no signal'. Is there any way to know if it's the set or the aerial which is the problem? The TV is about 6 years old.

Thanks

J

john clarke

Are you still trying to pick up the now defunct analogue signals, or have you got Freeview or similar for the digital signals

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Do a fresh install or retune just the digital channels ,they have a annoying habit of moving onto different frequencies willy nilly .

If its still bad either you had a bolt of lightening within a mile or so (the cheapness of modern tellies means tuner protection circuits are long gone) and its effected the tuner (new telly needed unless it has a use on dvd or pc) ,the wire had shorted in the aerial lead (rubbing on roof ,defective link to tv from wall socket etc ,tv aerials are often changed but in reality theres little to go wrong unless the wire is faulty or it moves .

Digital tv is now at its working power so unless a transmitter is being repaired the aerial is least suspect

An installer will condemn an aerial almost every callout their cheap for him but a nice profit and hes up the ladder so his word is all you have unless you have a ladder as well

The other only other weak spot if its installed is an amplifier, a red or black box on the aerial or a domestic ones inside the house ,the former can get water ingress (rained lately?) and the internal one can replaced or bridged but tend to stop working completely a stop all reception

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Strange ! But at least its sorted

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson