Laptop protection

Jim Murray

Just managed to write off my ThinkPad display by dropping it. Has to be repaired by IBM to retain the warranty so will be approx £550 total cost.

It's a work machine so they will pay but going forward it would be good to try to protect it more. Crazy to think that a thin film of rubber may well have prevented the damage.

Looking online there's lots of protection in the form of sleeves etc available but what is needed is something akin to a phone case which will protect it all the time whilst in use. Ideally there would also be radiation protection builtin (laptop spends a lot of time parked on my lap).

I can't see too much online - anyone ever seen such a product? Would have thought the market would be huge.

probably the protction would only stop slight miss

haps and anything more prohibitive ,only a bag will give decent protection but out of it the glass platters of the hard drive and the screen are fragile things

i once bought a hardened laptop at a boot fair ,several layers inside for radiation and a membrane keyboard to (i presume) stop the dust of the deseased via nuke soldier clagging up the works LOL

mentiond it on here as it appeared to be full of co_ordinates (gov losing its stuff again)and lots of references to iraq etc in the bits of data i could recover ,long gone it had a strange hard drive which then i couldnt source you could have kicked that TO iraq and it would have survived!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I think Chesters has it right and you need to consider going with a hardened/rugged laptop. They were originally designed for field use by the military but civilian models are available. Do a google search for "hardened laptop computer" and get an idea of what's available.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

probably the protction would only stop slight miss

haps and anything more prohibitive ,only a bag will give decent protection but out of it the glass platters of the hard drive and the screen are fragile things

i once bought a hardened laptop at a boot fair ,several layers inside for radiation and a membrane keyboard to (i presume) stop the dust of the deseased via nuke soldier clagging up the works LOL

mentiond it on here as it appeared to be full of co_ordinates (gov losing its stuff again)and lots of references to iraq etc in the bits of data i could recover ,long gone it had a strange hard drive which then i couldnt source you could have kicked that TO iraq and it would have survived!

I'm aware that nothing will save it if it's drop kicked into touch.

I dropped it in the kitchen and the open lid just caught a corner on the worktop. It was enough to do the damage. A thin rubber skin might have just saved it - would certainly be better than nothing.

I think Chesters has it right and you need to consider going with a hardened/rugged laptop. They were originally designed for field use by the military but civilian models are available. Do a google search for "hardened laptop computer" and get an idea of what's available.

Unfortunately the company only supplies a specific model - I'l see if it's available in a hardened version, for next time.

I think the reason the replacement screens for laptops and phones and ipods etc are so cheap is down to the quantity needed ,it probably wont get to tv level as they are cheap enough to chuck away their internals are not as sophisticated as pc's and the shear number of makes but if enough wii game doodas break screens the day wont be far off LOL

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

the modern fad of thin and light has its downsides

the screens are replacable but best to have tiny chinese hands to start with and a lot of logic

but i bet theres a 'how to' out there somewhere

most screens aint too bad to replace: I regularly do laptop screens, ipad screens, and iphones.

the worst ive had recently was an acer 571 notebook...fekking awful...

written it off in the end...the chassis basically fell apart with all the hinge mounting points shattering away from the base unit.

Invested £100 in a digitiser and screen and it shattered within a week due to excess stress from the shitty hinges!