pike fishing canals

TTmitchy

back to the point which part of the sanky are you targetting?

some stretches are far better for piking than others a lot of the st helens lengths are devoid of pike for instance

a good starting point would be the local pac region (cough look at the signature cough) either south lancs or the cheshire branch. the next meeting of the south lancs is on the 1st wednesday of november at 8.00 in ashton in makerfield

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive always accepted the anti coagulant thing as well.Ive never questioned it as it makes a lot of sense in that several predators have this and its uses are obvious.That said I cant remember ever reading any studies on this or actual documentary proof as Andy mentions.

As for cannals I will hold back untill we get a bit more info on the water as Ive never fished it myself.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

the sanky canal runs from tesco (was originally a pilks glass site) in st helens all the way to the mersey at widness. it has been filled in in several sections and also reverted to a natural river course in others species that can be found in it are more varied than any other water in the country we still do occasionally get 'blooms of guppies and cichlids in the st helens end (the hotties) along with the more usual species of millions of carp roach rudd etc. on the naturalised river stretches wild brownies can be found to double figures and the barbel are pushing 5-6 pound (this is in water you can wee accross) as you get to newton earlstown where the canal true starts again its a match water where they in the last few years removed a lot of pike but chub proliferate along with roach and a few cats and carp this is how it continues until it hits the mersey not to far from the runcorn bridge. the widness end is noted as a carp water and the st helens end for carp and oddities (some weird and wonderful cats live not 200 yards from me we have channel cats and lung fish amongst others).

the snakey navigation was originally dug in the 1750's and wasnt called a canal rather a navigation due to the fact the local commerce wanted it and the government at the time had refused the canalisation of a river in the N East (i think) it did run under the nine arches of railway fame (think rainhill trials and the liverpool manchester line that followed) it had the largest canal boats in the uk (mersey flats) that were capable of sea voyages

for a general bit of background here you go it may make some of my stuff wrong as these are the people who know it far better than i do

http://www.scars.org.uk/

as a pointless bit of info the picture is the nine arches, and where the canal rus under the viaduct is now filled in and the footpath actually passes under the same arch as the canal did

Edited by noodle996

If Mick Brown, Des Taylor and Kieth Arthur tell of the anticoagulant thing thats good enough for me

Edited by IanBass

Just one big fish, PLEASE!!!!!!

Guest tigger
the sanky canal runs from tesco (was originally a pilks glass site) in st helens all the way to the mersey at widness. it has been filled in in several sections and also reverted to a natural river course in others species that can be found in it are more varied than any other water in the country we still do occasionally get 'blooms of guppies and cichlids in the st helens end (the hotties) along with the more usual species of millions of carp roach rudd etc. on the naturalised river stretches wild brownies can be found to double figures and the barbel are pushing 5-6 pound (this is in water you can wee accross) as you get to newton earlstown where the canal true starts again its a match water where they in the last few years removed a lot of pike but chub proliferate along with roach and a few cats and carp this is how it continues until it hits the mersey not to far from the runcorn bridge. the widness end is noted as a carp water and the st helens end for carp and oddities (some weird and wonderful cats live not 200 yards from me we have channel cats and lung fish amongst others).

the snakey navigation was originally dug in the 1750's and wasnt called a canal rather a navigation due to the fact the local commerce wanted it and the government at the time had refused the canalisation of a river in the N East (i think) it did run under the nine arches of railway fame (think rainhill trials and the liverpool manchester line that followed) it had the largest canal boats in the uk (mersey flats) that were capable of sea voyages

Noodle it sounds amazing, and just up the road from me. Are you sure about the trout and Barbel though and I thought all the tropical fish had popped their cloggs due to the hotties not being hot anymore ?

I'm not doubting you Noodle but maybe the people who've told you, unless of course you have first hand experience. If your right then I'll be havin a mooch about round there myself.

If Mick Brown, Des Taylor and Kieth Arthur tell of the anticoagulant thing thats good enough for me

Dont get blinded by names Ian and certainly dont quote Kieth Arthur on Pike!

As said Ive always accepted it as so and I like to think Im quite experienced with pike but in answer to Andy's querey I have never seen any thing definate on it so maybe I like the anglers you mention have just been accepting an old folklore? and I include my studies of Freshwater Biology in this as well as fishing knowledge.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I have often wondered if theres any truth in the anticoagulant thing. On the odd ocaison i have got caught by a tooth or racker the wounds have seemed to bleed longer than you would expect but like someone else said i think it could be the nature of the wound in conjunction with cold hands

Maybe somebody in the know could shed some light on the subject, Or is it just a old pikers wivestale to put off the half hearted.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Noodle it sounds amazing, and just up the road from me. Are you sure about the trout and Barbel though and I thought all the tropical fish had popped their cloggs due to the hotties not being hot anymore ?

I'm not doubting you Noodle but maybe the people who've told you, unless of course you have first hand experience. If your right then I'll be havin a mooch about round there myself.

I know the lad who had the trout, it ended up in the freezer, and i watched perch hammering guppies in the last bloom of smaller tropical fish,it was around 5-6 years ago in the gusher length where it is still warm the original hotties bit where the sprinklers were is cold now you are correct but the cats get caught in th cold lengths i have a photo of one of the cats somewhere.

over the barbel were you not aware of the sanky river being stocked in the mid nineties with chub roach dace and barbel? well the can now be found in the strecthes where the canal has now reverted to river (below the locks near the sewage plant in st helens)

canalmatchpics71107053.jpg

its not me on the photo but one of the match anglers on there

thanks guys,i was goin to try widnes to warrington stretches,i know there are pike there,just wondering,best ways to try and catch them ,dead bait,spinning or pluggs ect

they will all work, id keep mobile though and never ignore the near shelf especially on the wel fished lengths

Edited by noodle996