Where to start

RPM

This is how to do it :thumbs:

http://one.revver.com/watch/307343

Watch what he does with his left hand as he puts the power on, on the back cast and the forward cast. A good demonstration of double hauling. You will be doing this in a couple of weeks :D

The bow wave you saw would have been a trout after your fly and you almost certainly struck too soon. Wait till you feel it and then just lift to tighten.

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

This is how to do it :thumbs:

http://one.revver.com/watch/307343

Watch what he does with his left hand as he puts the power on, on the back cast and the forward cast. A good demonstration of double hauling. You will be doing this in a couple of weeks :D

The bow wave you saw would have been a trout after your fly and you almost certainly struck too soon. Wait till you feel it and then just lift to tighten.

He does a nice cast however, with long grass and an inclined bank this would prove a little tricky.

Anyway, had a hours tuition from a club guy who gave me a few pointers. He said I had a limp wrist (o'er missus) and that I needed to pause before the forward motion. Caught nothing but came back again today and had a further couple of hours (my fifth visit) and HAZAM!!!!!!! I am now officially a fly fisherman having caught my first rainbow of about 1lb and three quarters :D:clap2: This will go really well with a fresh salad later today or even a BBQ if the weather stays nice.

I hadnt quite realised that you really have to give the cast some welly both back and forth and although I dont have much grace and elegance I can now get about 100% further than I could a couple of weeks ago. Very pleased and can say it feels very satisfying to feel the line pulling through the rings as you get a really good cast.

Glad the lessons are going well RPM

just had my first on saturday, followed by a days fishing, the instructor said i was doing really well, and its just practice from now on as i can already cast well, but i will have another lesson to sort out the presentation and to learn some water craft, (yes ive been reading lots of books), i had a few bites but didn't get one landed, next time.

cheers

Spug

Although i didnt catch anything this time i bought a fish from the fishery shop (yes i know its cheating)and prepared it for the missus and i to eat later, she cooked it up pan seared with home grown boiled potatoes, asparagus, baby sweetcorn and french beans, absolubtly beautiful.

I have seen in most of the shops and fisheries they have trout cookery books, you could try one of these, there are millions of ways to cook any fish it may just be a case of finding the one you prefer.

cheers

spug

He does a nice cast however, with long grass and an inclined bank this would prove a little tricky.

Anyway, had a hours tuition from a club guy who gave me a few pointers. .....

I hadnt quite realised that you really have to give the cast some welly both back and forth.....

Be careful of that welly, fly casting shouldn't really involve all that much force. Mostly it's in the timing and the stop... For good casting tips the forum at Sexyloops is an excellent online place for advice. For tuition Mick Huffer based in Clifton, Nottingham, is a good and qualified instructor. Tony Edwards at Walkers of Trowell gives casting tuition and is an all round nice guy. If your'e north Nottingham try Peter Arfield AAPGAI qualified instructor based in Bakewell... a nice drive away :)

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Did the trout taste any good? When I tried trout fishing in a local reservoir last year I was very disappointed to find out that the trout tasted like mud.

MC

It has to be said, and I must confess to be a bit of a fan when it comes to eating our lovely finned friends, that this trout tasted like SH*£E. Cooked it on the BBQ as I have done many times before with mackerel, cod, tuna and the like and just found it plain tasteless and couldnt eat much of it.

Shame really. I will be putting them back next time.