Is This Fin Rot?

Elton

I found this fish in my pond the other day.

It was the same both sides - each fin completely affected in this way.

I didn't take the risk and knocked it on the head. It's the first fish I've had die on me in years now :(

Is it 'standard' fin rot? I'm keeping an eye on the others and haven't noticed any more.

fin_rot.jpg

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I don't like the look of that, to be honest. Maybe I've not seen a case of fin rot so advanced, but it usually just erodes the soft parts of the fin away rather than getting that nasty tumorous look on the peduncle.

I think you did the right thing knocking it on the head.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't take the risk and knocked it on the head. It's the first fish I've had die on me in years now :(

Is it 'standard' fin rot? I'm keeping an eye on the others and haven't noticed any more.

post-2-1182351792_thumb.jpg

We had something similor happenning to the carp in our club lake last year. They were like big water blisters on the fins but we didn't lose any so didn't think we needed to report it. We had alot of fish louse at the time due to the very hot summer so put it down to these. As soon as the colder weather set in they all recovered perfectly. Not seen any this year, but then the temperatures are still very low.

Have you spotted any louse clinging to the fish??

Anthony

Effort equals reward!!

Guest tigger

post-2-1182351792_thumb.jpg

It's not fin rot, I would say it looks growth/tumour like. It doesn't look like it would spread.

That fish has long gone to the pond in the sky and I haven't seen any other cases, or lice.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE