INCONSIDERATE YOUNG ANGLERS

Janet

Unfortunately the first lad had gone off to play with his friends, so I was on my own with the monster child!

Still, as you said, I did have the experience of spending the afternoon with a nice young lad.

I know I should have gone somewhere quieter, but I needed to stay near home. Luckily, apart from a few kids chucking stones off the bridge (not aimed very well!), I've never really had a problem. Some of them can be a bit of a pain, but a stern glare or a quick word usually makes them go away.

However, if they are polite and quiet, then I am more than happy to spend time with them. I always have a spare rod and reel with me, and once or twice I've let youngsters use it and I've had the fun of watching them catch their first fish. It's brilliant, and after all, it's not long since I caught my first one too!

Janet

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately the first lad had gone off to play with his friends, so I was on my own with the monster child!

Still, as you said, I did have the experience of spending the afternoon with a nice young lad.

I know I should have gone somewhere quieter, but I needed to stay near home. Luckily, apart from a few kids chucking stones off the bridge (not aimed very well!), I've never really had a problem. Some of them can be a bit of a pain, but a stern glare or a quick word usually makes them go away.

However, if they are polite and quiet, then I am more than happy to spend time with them. I always have a spare rod and reel with me, and once or twice I've let youngsters use it and I've had the fun of watching them catch their first fish. It's brilliant, and after all, it's not long since I caught my first one too!

Janet

Good for you Janet, you don't get many altruistic anglers! I agree nothing better than helping somebody catch their first fish. :thumbs:

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Similar thing happened to me at the weekend. First kid turns up about 10am, we've fished next to each other before, he fine, respectful etc.

Some of his mates turn up at 2 and start causing a nuisance, shouting across the lake and leaving their rods unattended. The first kid gets drawn into it of course and is soon joining in.

But I remember it was the same when I was at school, perfectly nice kids would get pressured into bullying younger kid by the bullys in their peer group.

Whilst the first kid was with you for the whole morning, he'll be in the company of these 'mates' for a lot longer, so he's bound not to want to antagonise them.

Tony

janet seems you did the right thing all day, remember the first kid forget the second ,oscar de renta in your tackle box blimey addatives are getting expensive these days :D cheers big al

british by birth ,english by the grace of god

I've had something of a similar nature. One of my favourite pegs is a wier pool next to a ford.

In the summer I can be merrily fishing away when parents drop off little johnny to go swimming.

Fishing over. Can't stop them swimming, but I've paid a license fee to fish. they have paid nothing to spoil my sport.

a fish,a fish, my kingdom for a fish

when my friends and I were children; we took our fishing seriously, and having other kids thieving, making noise, throwing things in or swimming were as much of a nuisance to us as to everyone else.

Fortunately, when I was a kid, the law of the jungle prevailed - none of this "I have rights" nonsense.

At the age of 8 I once chucked a kid in the river for throwing stones in my swim (after first warning him that "next time" I would do it.)

Chummy went home to tell his mum - but knowing my reputation for retaliation, thought better of it - and instead told his mum Doug Collins had pushed him in.

Bad move :schmoll: - Young Collins had a cast-iron alibi - so Chummy was now in dead bother, with his Mum, with Ma Collins, and with Doug Collins too. :whistling:

He never interfered with my fishing again. :rolleyes:

These days I rarely fish where other peoples' brats might turn up.

Taught my grandchildren to fish though.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Guest Rabbit

Its a real pity this kid has a problem, he obviously knows a thing or two about fishing and has the money to buy maggots.

However it seems to be the way things are, there is little respect for adults generally with a lot of kids, but that is not always the case. Looks like Janet had the experience of the differing sides of kids behaviour, on their own they are decent humans, but put them with thier peers then its a different story.

What is alarming is the bad behaviour of girls, it is they now that seem to hold all the aces, and boys are increasingly unable to ''fit in''. Boys and young men are now the victims of society.

Gone are the days when men had a distinct role in life to be the ''bread winners', to be at least involved in choosing a partner. Now the shoes are firmly on the other feet,. and I for one don't like it one bit.

So before you push the little sod in just make sure you got a life ring at hand,

there is little respect for adults generally with a lot of kids

I'm fortunate in that (so far!) this was the only really bad experience I've had whilst fishing.

What annoyed me more than anything was the total frustration I felt in not being able to do anything other than walk away, my day ruined because of a child. I felt completely powerless.

Respect? It's a sad indictment of our society these days that there doesn't seem to be much of it around any more, and we are all the poorer for that.

Janet