Why A Mirror Carp?

Elton

Posted on behalf of Tracy. Please add all replies to this thread:

Hi to you all last Sunday i caught a 15 1B Mirror Carp (my PB) and sent a pic to my friend who does the website where i caught the fish. He knows nothing about fishing at all and wants to do a page on the web site of it. He asked me why it is called a Mirror Carp. Can any body tell me please? Many thanks Tracy xxx

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI there,

Here you are,

The common carp, as well as its variants, mirror carp, with large mirror like scales (linear mirror - scaleless except for a row of large scales that run along the lateral line; originating in Germany),

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

There is some more detailed explanation of the genetic difference between a mirror carp and other variantes here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_carp

No bad on you Errrm but can anyone confirm or refute the info at this link? :g:

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....

Very simplified but basicly correct.Why what causes you concern Cider Monkey?

Sorry for delay - been working :crazy:

No actual concerns Budgie other than a genuine wish to improve my knowledge. :thumbs: I'm the type of person that yearns to learn and this forum is brilliant for that. I'd always thought that our three varieties of carp were just that - varieties of the same strain. In simple terms I thought it was like having blonde hair, brown hair or ginger hair - not like being white, black or asian. Please everyone - don't attack me for using this analogy - it just illustrates my understanding.

The only reason I asked for validation was there were no references cited in the wiki article and therefore I just wanted a second opinion. I knew that the knowledge base on this forum would provide that - one way or t'other. :victory:

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....

A good forum discussion with lots of info and source material and written by carpers so related to what interests us

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/inde...?showtopic=7780

If you prefer more dry-fact material

http://www.fao.org/docrep/005/B3310E/B3310E14.htm

http://www.powercarp.com/ (in French though)

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The only reason I asked for validation was there were no references cited in the wiki article and therefore I just wanted a second opinion. I knew that the knowledge base on this forum would provide that - one way or t'other. :victory:

And quite right to mate! I learned/realised some time ago that just because its on the Internet doesnt mean its true/correct!

Mind you that said Ive been told/taught conflicting "facts" by different lecturters at various colledges! particularly on the details of this subject!

It is universaly agreed that Mirrors,Commons,Leathers,Linears etc etc are all just variations of the same species (Crucians being a seperate species) It is often said that the monks of olden days breed the other "strains" from the origonal common carp that were first brought to this country as a food source in Roman times.All though true this is slightly misleading! basicly the monks just used selective breeding ie taking a couple of genetic freaks(!) that had scales missing (naturally as opposed to damage of course) and continue this selective breeding process to get a strain of carp that had very few or no scales (hence forth all the various "levels" of scaling from fully scalled mirrors to leathers. The basic reason being to provide an easier to prepare fish for the table.No different to the process used by trout farmers today to produce "blue" and "golden" rainbow trout.

It is also generally accepted that if you were to stock a pool with just mirrors/leathers after many years of uncontroled breeding most of the decendants would be commons ie the gene pool returning to normal.Of course all (as is often quoted) wouldnt be commons as if some genetic variations (mirror) didnt occur naturally there wouldnt have been any to selectively breed from!! If you see what I mean.

A good example of this is if you look at the ratio of commons to mirrors/leathers in a natural/unstocked system compared to an unatural/stocked one.

For example an unstocked river compared to a "commercial" big carp water. The natural venue being predominantly commons.

A bit like the selective breeding used to "create" strains/colour/pattern/shape variations of ornemental carp.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Although if you stock with all leathers, I don't see any way you'd get any commons among their offspring unless you eventually had the same sort of mutation that must have caused the appearance of the first leather carp.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Although if you stock with all leathers, I don't see any way you'd get any commons among their offspring unless you eventually had the same sort of mutation that must have caused the appearance of the first leather carp.

Each sucsessive spawning will produce more fish that have reverted back to the origonal gene code Newt. Breeding leather/leather for instance doesnt give you 100% leather off spring just a higher percentage than any other combination.

It could be argued that in fact mirrors are the first (natural?) "mutation" as you called it and leathers are just selectively bred mirrors. This "selective" breeding can of course happen naturally (due to circumstances) but no where near as common as it would have to be to get anywhere near a noticable number.

I cant remember the exact figures of probability/percentage of fry showing these (what are after all) genetic defects.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!