Cattle

Frummo

Theres seems to be a bit of thread re-cycling going on at the moment, so I though I'd bring this one back having read about this..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

From a completely different source than the one in the link of course!

It is a cautionary tale. It's seems the cows protecting their calves took offence to this paticular lawman and more liikely his dog..

Just goes to show how careful people should be. I've often chatted to other anglers about cows and most say the good old "oh, you don't have to worry about cows. They harmless etc etc". In most cases this is the case but it's always best to be careful.

I fish one field where the cows (bullocks and heffers) are totally harmless. They stare etc but they soon get on with their lives. But there's another field with another herd (again, bullocks and heffers) who make me really uncomfortable. They just do not like me being in the field. They group together in a tight herd and then start charging around the field. I don't fish there now!

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very, very familiar story, unfortunately, including the blanking!

I'm in the early stages of developing a new tactic in my battle against the cattle. Bravado! I step purposefully over the stile enroute to my favourite couple of Chub bends, clutching a large straight stick, when they get too close I go on the offensive by whoosing the stick in their direction, shouting generally un-complementary anti-cow comments as loud as I possibly can while trying to fight off the distinct possibility of making a man pat all of my own...

So far, so good but I must admit there's one field of paticularly rowdy bullocks that I've not yet tried this new tactic on.

I did that too :lol: I waved rods at them and kept shouting about how I was going to eat them one day. But they grouped up and walked rather quickly towards me, so I had to clamber over a barbed wire fence sharpish.

Luckily this was a long way from any normal people.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Years ago, I used to help out a farmer friend by shooting a lot of pests on his land, rabbit, pigeon etc. He kept a small herd of heifers (fresians) in one meadow until they were old enough to be put into the milking herd. When I walked around this field the heifers would regularly follow me, and indeed on a few occasions they surrounded me. I didn't mind or worry as they were good camouflage.

Then for reasons which I can't remember, the farmer introduced a young bull calf (hereford named Joe) into the same field. From then on all bets were off. Even at less than a year, the bull calf could get extremely aggressive, pinned me against a fence once, ruined a barbour jacket on the barb and near frightened me to death. Even firing a shot over it's head didn't achieve anything.

Now I won't go into a field where there are bulls, entire or castrated.

When you stop enjoying it, stop doing it.

Rodge.

The only thing wrong with these resurrected threads is, you've got to read back in case you've already posted what your going to post. :blink:

I've had a few run ins with our bovine friends over the years, some (well most in retrospect) were funny.

One lad that used to go fishing with us had a fear of cattle, so at one particular water he would always go into the next field that was always empty.

The only trouble was, sometimes he had to come back for something, he would always try to time it so that the cattle were at the far end of the field.

One day he had left his bait in the van, so had to come back. Unfortunately for him the cattle had come to see what we were doing. He sat on the fence pleading with us to go get his bait for him, and we being the 'good' friends we were, told him to "sod off".

As we continued to tackle up, and he continued to sit on the fence, a man with a dog walked down the other bank, the dog barked at the cattle over there, and they moved out of the way.

The next thing we heard was a 'barking' and growling from the direction of the fence, yes, he thought "if it works for the dog, why not me"?

Well I can tell you it doesn't work. Instead the cattle walked over to him, and started 'mooing' at him.

We were rolling on the floor at the sight of this 'conversation', between a dozen or so cattle and this clown.

He became known as 'The Cowboy' after that.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John