The "ring Thing"

kleinboet

I don't think banning the ring signifies that the School are promoting sex before marriage.

I understand they have a "no jewellery" rule, but permit specific religious items.

This ring has nothing to do with the Christian faith, I suspect with their stricter upbringing more Muslim girls are virgins when they get married than any other religious, or non religious, group.

This whole protest is supported by the same types (but on the other side of the fence), that tried to make Schools permit full face veils for Teachers.

I believe the term use to be "rabble rousers".

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see from your postings you think the ring is a bad idea. How many of you out there did something that you regret (possibly to this day), but did it it through peer pressure!

This girl is trying to get away from the "free sex" attitude of todays world.

Never mind the religious side of it (that is just to reinforce the vow!), the school, by making this ban is implying that it is a bad thing to "save yourself" until you are married. So you all agree that in todays world there is no room for chastity, and you are prepared to continue to fund the housing, feeding and rearing of the children of single mothers!

kleinboet, if she wants to remain a virgin until she gets wed then thats her choice and good on her, but, she doesn't have to or need to, tell the whole community does she.

The ban isn't implying anything,it's simply a school ruling that says no jewelry.

It was reported in the press here that both of her parents are listed as members of "The UK SILVER RING THING '' movement and that her mother is the secretary of the company.

Isn't there a saying that goes something like "there is no such thing as bad publicity''

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Ayjay,

So you were a little angel that was never goaded into doing something that you didn't want to by your peers. That ring is her ammunition against just that!

Yeah, sorry guys I can't come scrumping wiv yer cos I'm wearing this ring. :rolleyes:

I am assuming that you are all married. You are all laughing about it and poo-pooing the idea!

I hope you remember that you don't approve of any weapon to stop having sex, when your daughter (if you have one) comes to you and says "Dad, I didn't mean to - Honest - but all the others at the party were at it, and I got carried away. I'm PREGNANT!"

As far as it not being religious, what do YOU call religious - Remember this girl made a vow in church and the ring is a reminder of that vow, as is a turban with the Sikhs, the bangles with the muslims etc.

I AM AFRAID I AM NOT A NIMBY My daughters (I presume) are married and in South Africa, and I hope they are concerned if they have daughters!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I am assuming that you are all married. You are all laughing about it and poo-pooing the idea!

I hope you remember that you don't approve of any weapon to stop having sex, when your daughter (if you have one) comes to you and says "Dad, I didn't mean to - Honest - but all the others at the party were at it, and I got carried away. I'm PREGNANT!"

As far as it not being religious, what do YOU call religious - Remember this girl made a vow in church and the ring is a reminder of that vow, as is a turban with the Sikhs, the bangles with the muslims etc.

I AM AFRAID I AM NOT A NIMBY My daughters (I presume) are married and in South Africa, and I hope they are concerned if they have daughters!

I think you're missing the whole point of this.She is not having sex because of the ring, she is choosing not to have sex.

If she has to wear a ring to remind her of her vow then the vow didn't mean much in the first place.

Im sure you dont stick a treble hook in your finger to remind you to be careful when you're fishing.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

once she gets a few cans of beer down her neck she will forget that ring.

peer pressure can ofcourse be from her parents not just outside the family ,and if theres shekels to be made then that pressure will increase not forgetting the religeous loonery behind it.

my daughters did come "home" saying theve been knocked up but then thats their lookout not mine ,their actions not mine.

and she is mistaken thinking that sliver of silver will save her from the attentions of the males ,it will just make them more determined

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I think that we should have separation of church and state in this country, similar to the situation that exists in France and the good ol' US of A. Then we can ban the wear of any religious trappings in publicly funded schools.

For what it is worth, I am not sure about the value of school uniforms. I don't think a school should be able to tell you what your kids can and cannot wear at school, nor what shop you should buy them in.

As to the The Silver Ring Thing, the UK has a very high teenage pregnancy rate of about about 30 per 1,000 one of the highest in the developed world. The Netherlands has the lowest in the developed world with a rate of around 7 per 1000. Unfortunately the Silver Ring Thing is not a Dutch import but an import from America, where the rate is closer to 100 per 1000.

It is difficult for me to comprehend how those from a country with the worst teenage pregnancy statistics in the world can have the audacity to come over here spouting their rather dangerous message. Sex education may be a problem here, but importing failed ideas from American Christian Fundamentalism does not seem the way ahead.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

unfortunately pregnancy is the excepted way of escaping from the parental home nowadays since the housing bottom rung is way out of reach of a high proportion of the youth today ,rather than blame kids blame those that push the house prices up,blame those with second homes and blame government for housing incomers as a priority over those already on the housing list and blame landlords that get greedy by turning buildings into multi occupancy dwellings purely to house the latter and their lucrative government handouts.

buy to let is the fastest growth in the housing sector

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters, getting pregnant as a means to get accommodation AND AN INCOME has been going for over twenty years, and with government approval!

If they didn't approve they wouldn't put those girls with "a bun in the oven" or kids at the top of the housing lists.

Turn your thinkking round. Why are we so short on housing?

If there is a way to stop just ONE girl having a baby outside marriage - I'm for it!!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Turn your thinkking round. Why are we so short on housing?

Because of the huge rise in the number of single person (not necessarily single parent) households. Inconvenient for your argument, but true.