Bic Bilbao Angler test.

maidstonemike

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one has been nasty & no one has said it's a rubbish kayak.

You have had your Bilbaos on the water since last summer and it is only last month you first fished from one.

It could well be that you have not yet found the limits of this kayak.

If you came along on some of the trips I make I feel you soon would. I haven't paddled your craft.

That is my opinion, this is an internet forum.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hy Mike :thumbs:

Don't take it personally, Martin is a nice chap and I am sure he is not knocking the kayak, just the review :unsure:

I think the review was just a short look at the kayak and how it handled on a few brief trips. I have seen one (same colour actually) and the guy paddled it away happily (St Bees head Martin, your old stomping ground ha ha) We can be a sarcastic lot sometimes, yes, I am guilty of that sometimes, but we are all quick enough to hold up our hands when needs be mate :)

Don't jack it in bud, I would miss your posts, they have been good to see :thumbs: Get some yakking in, catch some fish and get the photo's posted!!!

All the best :)

Dave

SDD~~~~~~ :sun:

Just my twopennce worth, I was after a fishing yak and in our local canoe shop they had a bic yak. I liked the wheel on the rear, but wondered if it would work on sand??? I didn't like the look of it much, but the deciding factor was when I tried to take the lid off the hatch, even though It was in the shop I couldn't take it off and i thought no way would this be good out at sea. I ended up buying a secondhand P13 ( Oh, to one of the previous posters to this thread, yes its called prowler a possible macho/bullshit tag however it is the dogs bits of yaks thats why its so popular), my secondhand P13 cost more than a new Bic. So am I happy, yes, would I swap for a brand new Bic....No. However I have just seen some pics of an updated & new OK fishing yak and ' I want one'

Peter

The Bilbao review i posted up wasnt mine!! Google it and then see the sort of kayaking this guy is experienced in :rolleyes: Think I'd take his word over some of those on here. unfortunately you seem to view this yak as an extension of your alter ego. I have a prowler , its NOT perfect , but as a fishing yak I have found it more than acceptable over the last 3 years of what some describe as extreme kayak fishing. I dont however post up links to reviews. You quite correctly mike say that you have had fun in your bic , touring etc, valid points BUT this is a kayak fishing forum and as Specimen rightly points out you have limited fishing experience. The reviewer didnt even fish from it , yet you both reccomend it as a fishing Kayak.

That is quite clearly ludicrous :schmoll:

I did not say it was rubbish , I did say it was not for me!! I did post up a review which extolled its virtues as well as its limitations. Happy paddling :thumbs:

Edited by Martin Hurst

Ok Prowler 13

Maidstonemike

I remeber proudly posting a picture of my ocean drifter only to be told it looked like a big yellow skateboard

Did I take a huge offence, no!

It works both ways, people are entitled to their opinions.

I have never tried a bic kayak so I cannot comment on them

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

Now thats an excellent , well balanced review :thumbs: Not disimilar to the extract i posted.

Have been following this thread with interest, especially as I own two Bilbaos and have done for the last two years, one for myself and one for my teenage son. They have been excellent learning vehicles and, as the last review states, they are stable and track well, excellent for short trips, easy to rig for an anchor with the lifeline rings along the side, and tough as old boots. Fishing from them? No problem! Lean and fast they are not, but then they are not designed to be such. I live close to the coast, so wake up, calm conditions, load it up off I go, more than F3 don't bother. Know they are heavy but I have no trouble loading it onto the roof myself.

Becoming more adventurous so have brought a scupper pro ......... horses for courses as they say. Will I be selling the Bics? No, too useful and too much fun

Hi all,

I’m new to kayak fishing been buying up cheap gear ebay/lidl/etc,started off by getting a bic scapa,now I’ve limited kayak experience I’ve been in CAPELLA, DAGGER and a Yak Board, also went on a weekend sea kayaking training course, so I don’t have a lot of experience to compare the scapa with, but I find its relatively fast ,tracks really well at sea, it can feel slightly tipy at first but this just forces you to relax the hip’s more, its also a reasonably dry kayak although if there’s a lot of chop you will end up sitting in a puddle but the scupper holes work a treat when your paddling and make a pleasing whirl pool as the waters sucked away, plenty of room for a crate and all my fishing gear, and feels very stable when fishing, and its comfortable too, so no need to buy additional seat backs like a lot of kayaks, I know bic doesn’t seem to have a great reputation on some of the forums, and they are relatively new to branching out into kayaks, they should get credit for being one of the best surf board designers and do have years of experience that they are now trying to bring to kayaking and I can appreciate that new bic styling and choice of superior materials, may make the less forward thinking run for the comfort of something more familiar

bic scapa