Fishing whilst in flood.

RPM

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Consider the situation with freshly flooded fields. All full of insects and worms and other goodies that fish enjoy eating. You can safely bet the fish move into the flooded areas very quickly and the ones that are there will be the ones in a feeding mood. Otherwise they would be back in the comparitive safety of deeper water.

Ideal time for shallow running lures. If the water is very colored (likely) stay with dark colors and lots of noise or vibration. Topwater lures are excellent and if you have any buzz baits (not common in the UK), this is a perfect place and time for them.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Whilst we can take advantage of the flooded rivers to get some good fishing, perhaps we also ought to spare a thought for the flood victims? Not only have many been forced out of their homes, others have taken a financial pounding. Even they are better off than the three who've died. My heart goes out to their families, especially of the poor guy who got stuck in a drain. I gather two hours of frantic rescue attempts whilst he was neck deep in water were unsuccessful. What a way to go!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

If it's a river I know well I actually like floodwater as in some ways it makes fishing easier. Location is less of a problem as a lot of water can be discounted.

You beat me to it Steve! when I first started fishing rivers some of my best catchs were made in flood conditions due to the reason you give.Also the fish are often shoaled tightly up in these spots.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Small ditches and streams emptying into the main river, and usually devoid of fish, can become packed with fish when they get backed up, and fish seek food and shelter from the fast flow of the river.

If you know of any such features, that would be the first place to head if you are after bagging up.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest Rabbit
You`re joking aren`t you? :unsure:

Three trips to the Severn totalling 20 hours have produced 43 barbel for me. I`m sitting here in Wolves hoping for more rain, the river only had a couple of foot on Saturday and the fish had moved back into the flow which made life tough as theres a strong current running. Still managed 13 in the first three hours........

Thats a fantastic result..I assume you re fishing the Middle? I have heard that it's doing really well, however the Lower is a different matter, below Worcester is grim. Fished the Avon Saturday night with my lad ,and had 3 barbs to 10 lb and a load of huge eels. Which accounts for the Otter I saw no doubt.

Also caught a p.b blackbird :blink: Cast right over it and it came in like a bit of washing on a clothes line....returned none the worse :thumbs:

Edited by Rabbit

Nottingham Piscatorial Society, Zedhead, and any pointers would be great.

Is it true that you have to kill one of the existing members before you can get a ticket?

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Is it true that you have to kill one of the existing members before you can get a ticket?

I am led to believe that once upon a time, in the good old days of yore etc etc, much like the other local legendary fishery, Welbeck Fisheries, that this was definately the case. I gather that there is still a waiting list and you are only allowed in following a secret ballot but as these parts of the trent are not what they used to be it is not as bad as it once was. Lucky me, eh! :clap2:

At dusk yesterday I managed to extract an 8oz roach and a 5lb 9oz bream from a very brown and swollen Thames - a very pleasing result for the conditions! The river's risen about 3ft since Sunday and looks like boiling hot chocolate. Not nice.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music