Fishing whilst in flood.

RPM

Whilst we can take advantage of the flooded rivers to get some good fishing, perhaps we also ought to spare a thought for the flood victims? Not only have many been forced out of their homes, others have taken a financial pounding. Even they are better off than the three who've died. My heart goes out to their families, especially of the poor guy who got stuck in a drain. I gather two hours of frantic rescue attempts whilst he was neck deep in water were unsuccessful. What a way to go!

My sentiments exactly.

It gives me goose pimples to think of that guy stuck, with the water slowly rising inch by inch up his neck. That has to be one of the worst ways to go.

There was a fella stuck in his car too. Terrible.

As someone who spends a lot of his time in, on and around water, I have a healthy respect/fear/ for the power of liquid Mother Nature. Maybe it's integral to the reason I actually go fishing?

I've had a couple of close shaves with a watery grave.

One whilst swimming being stuck 1/2 a mile off the coast at Barcelona, as a pretty hefty storm blows in and out in 20 minutes raising the sea from a glass flat calm to a serious swell. Not nice.

Secondly being stuck in a boat heading pretty sharpishly on a heavily flooded river towards a very turbulent weir pool. Only the quick thinking of a passer by saved me from a very sticky situation..

Even situations where I escaped un-scathed such as those are enough to put a dent in your invincibilty..

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RPM,

I spoke to Don, the old chap who fishes the trent, It turns out he used to be a member of Notts Pisc but due to ill health he has had to give up the ticket. He did however say that when the Trent is in flood, most barbel men head to a stretch just before a place called muskham as this area holds extra water well compared to some other sections.

Tactics wise, he says you cant beat a big bed of hemp, fishing pellet or meat over the top.

Hope this helps.

RPM,

I spoke to Don, the old chap who fishes the trent, It turns out he used to be a member of Notts Pisc but due to ill health he has had to give up the ticket. He did however say that when the Trent is in flood, most barbel men head to a stretch just before a place called muskham as this area holds extra water well compared to some other sections.

Tactics wise, he says you cant beat a big bed of hemp, fishing pellet or meat over the top.

Hope this helps.

Hmmm, thanks for this but sadly, having looked at lots of swims near North Muskam, I cant see me having much success here either. Not too far from breaking the banks the last time I looked.

Thanks for your input, though.

Fished at Beeston yesterday there were a few guys fishing near the bend according to a dog walker, i was down stream of the island perfectly fishable even when the river had 5 1/2 ft plus on and rising, fish weren't ever so co-operative though just the 1 chub :schmoll: but plenty topping. Hope this helps.